Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TangyToad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
I'm thinking of getting a 5.1 surround sound system, but I want to use it with my new iBook G4. Is there an affordable way to get 5.1 sound out of my iBook with a usb attachment or something?

cpjakes

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
Buffalo, NY
If that's all you want...

Just go with a Sonica or Sonica Theater, they're both USB -> digital audio. The Sonica will get you what you want, optical out for 5.1. The Sonica Theater also gives a line-in, which you may or may not need. I have a Sonica, and it works flawlessly with Panther's DVD Player.

Good luck!

cpjakes

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I agree about the sonica and sonica theater. I have a sonica and feel it's a worthwhile improvement to any system. I get better performance from games because of it.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Since changing to sonica, I've noticed that games don't hesitate when making sounds, as they did when the onboard sound was used. It's not just the sound that would hesitate but the whole game.

I wish I had some way to show it.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
And it did this while you were plugged into the wall and not on battery power?

Usually that problem only happens when using battery power, because the computer shuts down the audio subsystem.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
I was never able to receive a clear answer as to whether or not the M-Audio USB products (or even the PCI cards) off loaded the audio processor or still used the CPU... this would be interesting to know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.