iBook G4 and TV

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by notchfiend, Sep 4, 2012.

1. notchfiend
    Expand Collapse

I found a 27" 4:3 TV today. It only has the threaded cable input, no S-Video or anything else. Just the threaded cable. I want to make it a external monitor for the 'Book. What do I need to do this: mini-VGA to composite, composite to converter box and converter box to TV? Am I missing something? Or, can someone else think of a better idea, please?

TIA

nf

2. Zeke D
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

Mini-VGA => composite => RF modulator => TV. You will get pretty low resolution though. Some rf modulators allow s-video.

3. notchfiend, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012

notchfiend
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter Guest

Zeke

I can live with low resolution as long as it not just blocks moving across the screen. Anything's better than the CRT monitor I have now. You can still see a ghost of the Windoze the previous owner had on it.

nf

4. notchfiend
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter Guest

I know I said mini-VGA to composite, but then I found this. I have more questions.

I want to keep this project at as low a cost as possible. I already have a mini-VGA to VGA adapter. What's on the above page should work, right? Then, plug it directly in to this S-Video input? From there to the TV. Am I correct to saying this?

Anyone?

5. Zeke D
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

your assessment is correct, i used a similar setup 25 years ago when 800x600 was hot stuff.

6. notchfiend
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter Guest

Ha. Ha!

Seriously though...Will rez be that low? I was hoping for 1024 x 768.

7. Zeke D
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

most US analog TVs are 320x240, with the high end at 480i which is 720x480. I would expect 640x480 on your tv.

8. notchfiend
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter Guest

I did some research on the model and it's an Emerson TC-2555D. It's a CRT TV. Does this help my chances at getting a higher resolution?

9. Zeke D
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

if it supports QAM or something, then yes, but i doubt it.

10. notchfiend
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter Guest

Is there some other set up with this TV and an iBook which will give higher rez?

Checking on the QAM thing.

11. Zeke D
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

I would check your local thrift shop. You can likely get a CRT monitor for less than $20. Personally, I would just use the CRT you have until you cen get something to replace it. I would suspect if you let us know where you live, we could help you look in your local Craigslist. The people on this form are a great bunch of people, and they have been known to donate computer items to those who are in need.

12. notchfiend
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter Guest

I thought this would be an easy project. I also found out the TV was made in 1991. So, mos def not QAM-ready. I will just use it watch DVDs after I buy a box to covert to digital.

I'm not in dire need. The iBook just has a crummy external monitor. My main computer rocks. This TV would have been a bonus seeing how I found it.

Thanks for your help.

13. Cox Orange
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

I don't know, what a threaded cable is (no native speaker), but I some time ago used the mini-VGA to composite adapter that came with my ibook and put a composite cable in it, that had SCART on its other end (is SCART maybe a threaded cable?).

On the higher resolution, there is a firmwarehack, that allows second display support at higher resolutions with ibooks (it has it like the PowerBooks, but Apple just blocked it). Maybe you want to google it.

14. Zeke D
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

By threaded cable he means rf connector. In the USA, analog TVs are maxing out at 480i, and that is usually if they have a component or composite input, otherwise, they are usually lowr resolution than 480i.

Notchfiend, where are you at?