1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

ibook g4 battery replacement help...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by brendu, Jun 30, 2009.

1. macrumors 68000

hey so i have an ibook g4 from late 2003.. it is still using the original battery and i would like to replace it, but i want to make sure whatever i get will be an actual new battery that can hold a charge for several hours. any ideas on best place to look for a battery at best price...

2. macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

$129 from :apple:

3. macrumors 68000

i know apple tends to overcharge for ram and hdd's, is this also true for batteries and is there any other 3rd party perhaps who makes just as good a battery for cheaper?? if not im fine with paying 129 for one because this one is toasted.. lasts about an hour of web browsing

4. macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Right here. :)

5. macrumors 68000

4JNA

i've had really good luck with NuPower replacement batteries from OWC. last longer (more capacity) and $10 bucks cheaper at the moment. best of luck.

6. macrumors newbie

linuxjuicer

More of the Same

I too had to replace my iBook G4 14" battery a while back (2 years ago) I searched online but most betteries you find are going to be around the same price WITH SHIPPING as if you purchase one at an :apple: store.

So if there is an :apple: store nearby I'd go there, but if not try the "NuPower" that 4JNA posted

7. macrumors 601

clyde2801

There's always the old 'battery in a ziplock in the freezer' trick...

8. macrumors 68000

lol.. ive been waiting for your response clyde... maybe ill try that one after i get a new batt.

9. macrumors 601

clyde2801

Takes a couple of times, but I have used it before. I've also had luck getting a pb battery from a couple of local 3rd party repair shops. They had a couple lying around that used for diagnostic/repair purposes that they didn't need anymore. Charged me $30, but they had 98% original capacity left!

10. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Check ebay! You can often find ones there for at least 1/2 price but ask the seller first for cycle count and capacity.

Or if you are feeling mighty adventurous....

edit:
    If you had access to the Marketplace, some one just listed 2 iBook G4 batteries both in excellent condition.