iBook G4 Battery!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by fearthefinux, Nov 11, 2004.

1. fearthefinux macrumors newbie

my ibook g4.. 1.25ghz 14" 's battery is kinda acting up...

it would be charged all the way and then I'd remove the power cord and the battery bar would say 2 minutes left.. and the warning to plug in the power cord would pop up..

anyone with similar?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh no! That's not good... :( Have you tried re-calibrating the battery, by letting it actually go to zero and fall asleep before plugging it in?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284

3. sotied macrumors regular

Tell me more - battery worry?? Conditioning

Is this a common thing with iBook batteries?

I just got the same model and size. Have had the laptop for three days and ran it on the battery alone today just to test it.

I've already gotten about four hours out of it and the battery icon still has some darkness to it and the readout up top says I have 1:38 left.

**On top of this, is there a certain way I should condition the battery?**

4. fearthefinux thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i thought that the only time to calibrate the battery is the first time when it's out of the box.but this is reasonable and i'll try that and see if it would help.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think you're supposed to do it periodically...

Sotied, if you go to the apple website via that link, they have some instructions on using the battery. The big thing is that you want to at least occasionally run it through deep charge/discharge cycles -- that is, charge it all the way, and run it dry, and charge it back up all the way again.