iBook G4 brand new battery drops too fast?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by hugotron, Nov 8, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

Sep 1, 2003
    Santiago, Chile

Yesterday I got my new replacement battery for my iBook G4 (the 933 Mhz model from later 2003). My first battery died fast, at about 210 cycles. I used my iBook most ot the time plugged, I still can't understand what the 'cycles' exactly mean.

The thing is I got a new battery yesterday, and followed precisely Apple instructions in order to calibrate my battery:

While I was performing the initial charge, and the following full discharge, in System Profiler and Coconut Battery I learned my battery had an original capacity of 4400 mAh, and 0 cycles. When fully charged, it completed those 440 mAh. Then I discharged until the warning and then sleep came.

While performing the third step of the calibration (the second full charge), I noticed my battery's capacity dropped from 4400 mAh to 4263 mAh, and that I already have one cycle. The thing about the cycle was absolutely clear, but the significant drop of capacity surprised me. From 4400 to 4263 means my battery now has only 96% of it's original capacity. This happens just one day after new.

Is this normal?

Thank you,
  2. macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    Absolutely not. Return that battery. Something's not right.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2004
  4. macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    Try calibrating the battery, as in depleting it until the iBook sleep's and then fully charge it, maybe this will solve the problems,