iBook G4 crashing on startup

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by stodmyk, Aug 22, 2004.

1. stodmyk macrumors newbie

Aug 21, 2004
    I've got a white iBook G4 that's crashing on the blue and white startup screen about 40% of the time. That percentage goes up to 75% of the time when the power charger/supply is plugged in.

Anyone hear of this before, and happen to have a fix at their fingertips?

Jason in Vancouver
  2. thedoc1111 macrumors regular

Aug 13, 2003
    That sounds like - a dead iBook G4.

Probably has some issue in its Dc-DC circuits.

Back up all data (FireWire target disk mode can be useful) and send to Apple.

3. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    i'd try an archive and install before you send to apple but there is only a small chance that it would fix it
  4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    The good news is that you're still under warranty. The bad news is that you may have to use it.

What does is say on the screen just before the crash? Is there a particular service starting when it crashes? How does it crash? Turns off? Tells you to restart? Unresponsive?

Here's the voodoo you try when you get an odd problem--and this is an odd problem. Start your Mac while holding down command option P R and hold them until you've heard the startup sound 4 times. Then hold command option O F until the text on the screen tells you to let go. Type reset-nvram and hit enter. Then type reset-all and hit enter again. The computer will reboot and will have all it's hardware reset. It may work or it may not. If you have a bona fide "broken hardware" problem it won't do anything, but there's no harm in trying.

You might try reinstalling the OS as well, but my gut instinct tells me that's not the answer. Again, it won't hurt to try.

Your first priority should be backing up your data.

EDIT: Run the hardware diagnostic CD that came with your iBook.