Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rbgros1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
I ran the Safari 4.0 update and restarted my iBook G4. Now the display is slightly larger than my actual screen size, and the graphics quality is worse -- everything appears slightly out of focus. As I move the mouse around, the display moves also; for example, if I move the mouse to the upper left, the Apple menu icon comes into view, but I can't see the dock on the right, and if I move the mouse to the right, the dock comes into view, but the Apple menu moves beyond the edge of the screen. It's about to give me a headache.

I went into the Displays menu; I'm set at 1024x768, and my only other options are 640x480 and 800x600, neither of which helps.

This computer is 4 or 5 years old, and this problem is new. Yes, I restarted -- no change. (The old display proportions appear for a moment during start-up, but then the new display takes over.)

What has happened, and how do I get my old display proportions back?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
You zoomed into your Desktop/windows via CTRL + wheel/two-finger-scroll.
You can reverse it by zooming back via CTRL + wheel/two-finger-scroll.

System Preferences > Universal Access > Zoom > Options
vision_screenmagnification20080811.jpg

from http://www.apple.com/au/accessibility/macosx/vision.html - Screen Magnification

rbgros1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
You were right, I was zoomed in. Going into System Preferences -> Universal Access and turning off zoom solved the problem. I don't think I EVER would have thought to look in there. Thanks! I was steeling myself to go out and buy a new laptop.

Still the mystery of how zoom turned on. I guess I'll blame the cat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.