iBook G4 DVD Drive Problem

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jimbobyorks, Aug 21, 2006.

1. jimbobyorks macrumors newbie

Jul 17, 2006
    After no less than ten days of me changing my mind about sticking my 1.33mhz iBook on ebay it appears that the dvd drive will not work due to the following, would be great if someone could confirm this on here.

1. On pushing in a cd/dvd into the disk slot it just sits there, nothing moves, in fact you can push it in so far till you can just see the edge of the cd. It does not grab it like it should.

2. On trying to burn a disk in iTunes it says disc burner or software not found.

Is the drive f*%ked or is it a software issue.

If it is gonna need a new drive then can you just put in an exact model of the broken drive and it will fire up without any drivers etc like PC's. Not done any open mac surgery but know somebody who can fit one of this is the case.

Thanks in advance.
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
  3. disconap macrumors 68000

Oct 29, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I'm assuming you've already run a permissions repair, as that could be the problem.

Otherwise, was it dropped or anything recently? Jostled? Do you carry it in a backpack? It sounds to me like maybe the power lead got disconnected, which isn't a very big deal. Does system profiler read it?