ibook G4 fan

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mikey12784, Oct 27, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

Oct 18, 2005
    anyway to make this turn on earlier? this thing gets damn hot before the fan turns on, i think it would last longer, and it would be less painful to have on your lap if it would cool down a little more. maybe in some setting or something somewhere? if not, apple should release a software patch that allows you to set teh fan to go off at a certain temp (i would have it @ 50c or thereabouts) right now this thing feels like its gettin to around 60-70
  2. Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't know of a way, and I doubt there is easily. If people started controlling things like this, stuff would start to break (ie: user puts fan temp for 175 C, computer melted).
    If you know Unix, there probably is a way - but now I'm getting into an area I know nothing about.
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 18, 2005
    well there is some code somewhere in the machine that tells the damn fan when to turn on, all i want them to do is make it at a lower degree point, the damn thing just gets too hot, too hot for my liking, i mean it hasn't crashed yet, but i dont want the components to die early deaths because its so hot. thanks! Mike.
  4. macrumors 68040

Aug 21, 2004
    Get the iBook up on a stand -- i use a Macally icepad as a lapdesk and for desktop -- which has airflow channels. You are right about heat wearing out the components.

BTW, I might have 512 pc2100 chip for you. Gotta get it out.
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 18, 2005
    yea i could def. use more ram ;). lmk if your gonna be selling yours! Mike.
  6. macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2005
    Damn so there's no way to manually set the fan? My iBook can climb upwards of 63 C just streaming videos online. The thing gets damn hot and I can't imagine how PB users must cope with this.