iBook G4 hard drive replacement- transferring data

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Mr_Brightside_@, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68000

Mr_Brightside_@

Hi, once I get my hard drive replaced, how do I go about installing OSX on the new HD? I mean, the HD won't have an OS at all, so do I just insert my install disks, boot off them, and then install OSX on the new HD? Or will the computer boot up all? I will transfer everything over from my USD backup drive- yes, I know that will take more than a little while... (coincidentally, the Seagate Barracuda is LOUD). I'm only asking because the place where I want to get the replacement itself done charges like 30 bucks to do it, but ONLY for the physical replacement and no data transfer. Hopefully the software side I'll be able to handle...

2. T-Stex macrumors 6502

If you've got an external enclosure that you can use for the new hard drive before you install it, you can follow the steps in this thread to copy the contents of your old drive to the new one, and just have the shop install the new drive with a bootable copy of Tiger on it.

However, the steps you've listed will work as well. If you just install a blank hard drive, you'll have to boot from the Tiger install DVD's, format the drive, and install Tiger. Then you can use the USB hard drive to copy over any files that you'd like. I saw a suggestion to use Tiger's Migration Assistant program, but I'm not really familiar with it. You might want to look into that, as it may make things easier. Hope this helps.

3. Mr_Brightside_@ thread starter macrumors 68000

Mr_Brightside_@

Unfortunately my enclosure only fits 3.5 inch drives, that's why it's so fracking big- 320GB. Anyway, if I have a blank HD in it, I still will be able to boot it up, and put in the install DVDs/ boot off them right? I believe you've affirmed this... beyond that, I know how to use the setup assistant stuff. Cheers!