iBook G4 HD problem

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SeVeN, Jul 22, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502a

my sister just recently bought an iBook from another employee at her work. its the 1.2GHz 512RAM 30GB, but its only got like 7 gigs available. the only programs its got that doesnt come with it is, frostwire, office and senuti. when she first looked at it, it had some music in iTunes but all the songs are gone. anyone have any ideas? like hidden files or something

:apple:

2. macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Use whatsize to see what is taking how much hard drive space.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

well i had her use Disk Invetory X, and she couldnt really see anything wrong. BTW shes using Tiger.

4. macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i suggest doing a clean re-install. i couldn't use a computer with another person's files. re-installing the original software should also free up plenty of space.

the fact that she's using tiger shouldn't mean that it takes up any more space than, say, panther.

5. macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I agree, a reinstall would be best.

6. macrumors 68000

iToaster

Clean install, that's the best way... assuming it came with everything. If not, wait till leopard or just go buy some Tiger. Or the hard way: weed through everything.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok so i guess when the iBook was new it came with Panther right? but its been upgraded to Tiger, but the dude doesnt have the Tiger disc, its in Germany with his brother :cool:

8. macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if you look carefully enough, you can find tiger dvds for relatively cheap (ebay, perhaps?. it might not be worth it, though, with leopard's release coming this october.

9. macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You could find a Tiger install disc here on MacRumors pretty cheaply. But if you want the space back, then you'll have to do a reinstall.

10. thread starter macrumors 6502a

she used WhatSize, still couldnt find anything wrong. what about reinstalling to Panther? would it let you downgrade like that?

11. macrumors 603

siurpeeman

yes, but would you really want to downgrade to panther? no spotlight. that's good enough a reason for me to keep tiger.

12. macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yeah it will, just do a erase and install and it'll install panther just fine.

13. thread starter macrumors 6502a

shes gonna take it to an Apple store to find out whats wrong