iBook G4 is the way to go...when should I buy one?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Moo-Boo, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Moo-Boo macrumors regular

Moo-Boo

My dear fellow Mac colleagues,

Warm greetings once again from the Antipodes (Australia). As you all know, you have done me a great service by convincing me to purchase an iBook G4. The reviews have been nothing but glowing. So that decision is now final. But here's the dilemma... Come late April, the iBook will be given its biannual revision, with higher specs and presumably the same price, maybe even lower. However, I do have the funds to purchase an iBook right now, and, from a bad past experience, I know that if I wait for the improved model, I might be waiting until August to lay my grubby little mits on it! Down here, Apple treats us like second class citizens, and there are massive delays (up to four months) for hardware to come through. I often those of you who live in Europe, Canada or the States. Yes, delays are common, but they don't seem to be severe.

So, my dear friends, what would you do if you were me?

Thank you so much for your enlightened feedback...you're all so knowledgeable!

Matt

2. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

I think ibook revesions are a long ways off. Powermac's and powerbooks soon, and a while after that new ibooks. Why wait? Just cause new ones come out wont affect your machine. Like you said, if you wait who knows how long it will take to get it, and for what....900mhz instead of 800mhz. Not that big a deal. Go buy now. My 2 cents. :)

3. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I just purchased a 12in iBook G4, and I am VERY pleased with it. (see sig for specs) Since no iBook updates are in sight, order now (or as soon as you can) because then you will just have more time with your new machine. I wish I had ordered mine sooner. It's perfect. :) Good luck, and keep us posted.

(feel free to contact me with any questions you may have)

4. chasingapple macrumors regular

chasingapple

Yeah go ahead and get it now, why rob yourself of months of Mac loving! Later on if you NEED an upgrade then buy another down the road ;)

5. jwp1964 macrumors regular

This is my first post after lurking about for three months. I purchased my 14" iBook (rec'd it in February) after much research and reviewing these forums a great deal. I actually enjoy my computer for the first time and I even installed max RAM on my own (great directions in the iBook guide that came with the computer.

I regret delaying my Apple purchase because my enjoyment and productivity could have happened earlier!

6. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

welcome to posting! we're glad to have you!

7. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

the prices wont get any lower so soon....thats for sure dude...
    so if you wanna wait for some minor speed bumps..its fine..but dont wait on price drop..
    and IMHO you should buy it when you need it..if its now, then now..
    cheers

8. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I think the iBook updates should occur after almost everything else...speculation yes, but given the poor sales for emac and imac, the promised G5PM and the strong rumors of a PB update to hopefully G5, iBooks have some time to wait. Sure Steve could pull a swifty at the WWDC end of June and revamp every single one of these lines but thats 3+ months off and even then the iBook is only likely to get a speed bump, a few tweaks and maybe just maybe a new look... so you won't be missing much if you get an iBook now.

And like you say, even if it was end of June, Australia would be how much later...

If you wait though (what maybe 6 months at this rate) then you will likely get a cheaper more powerful machine...but you gotta buy sometime...

933 has the best rep for price to power.

Max ram out.

Strongly consider bluetooth for accessories like keyboards and mice.

Consider wifi if you have friends with it for file sharing, plan to have an ADSL at home with a wireless hub, or plan to use expensive wireless internet at cafes and the airport (oh, and MacDonalds fairly soon).

HD upgrade might be also worth it if your likely to be heavy on music, photos or DV.

Get the Applecare. Its pricey but peace of mind.

www.macmall.com.au have good prices and Australia wide shipping

9. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

the whole key to being happy with any mac is to have 512 mb ram or more. 384 at the absolute lowest if your budget is tight. I know a unix guy that switched to macs for osx and he runs panther on a used g3 350 he picked up and it runs fine for his needs. it has 768mb and the terminal and itunes is all he usually has open though. still pretty good though.

an ibook G4 maxed out on ram and with extended apple care will serve you well for 3-4 years.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The iBooks are so close to bottom end powerbooks in spec right now that there's no way Apple will do anything significant to the iBook line in the near future. Think about it, the iBook just got AE, bigger screen resolution, BT, USB 2.0, and lets not forget the G4 processor. Oh and larger HD options too. The only revision you are likely to see soon is minor speed bumps. Prices won't get any lower (unless you are considering buying a current iBook used once new ones are released).

In short, I see no reason to wait.

11. Danrose1977 macrumors regular

Danrose1977

I think that there may be a small spec bump when powerbooks are updated,b ut realy you might as well buy now... especialy if you can snag a student discount...

12. Moo-Boo thread starter macrumors regular

Moo-Boo

Once again, you have all made my life so much simpler!

My dear Mac colleagues,

Thank you so much for your invaluable advice and input...all of you stated that I should get the iBook now...which is exactly what I did. I'm sorry I took so long getting back to you...I wanted to do something concrete before I returned. It has been ordered and should be here by Thursday morning, Australian time. But, hell, it was hard finding a discount Mac shop that didn't have a surcharge on their credit card facilities or who were charging the full price and then some for postage. But I did and I am now resting easy. (Sigh!)

Thank you all once again so much. But don't worry, I won't be going far. Perhaps in time I'll be able to help someone out too!

Matt

13. Danrose1977 macrumors regular

Danrose1977

Which one? ....and welcome to the club! :)

14. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yeah, give us the specs...

15. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

aswitcher:
    thats a freakin scary avatar dude....what the hell is that?? :eek:

16. dudeami macrumors regular

I think you made a great choice, enjoy your new iBook.

I think aswitcher's avatar is a tazmanian devil am I right? Sadly, they are extinct.

17. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Thylacinus cynocephalus...'dog-headed pouched-dog'

Extinct 1936 Tasmania, Australia.

Better known as the Thylacine or "The Tasmanian Tiger" or "Tasmanian Wolf"

Size of a dog, up to 35kg, 130cm long...biggest modern mammal carnivore in Australia (besides humans) and closest thing to a big cat (Quolls are too small) we might have had, with its stripey vertical backstripes reminicent of a tiger

That Avatar picture is from a black and white news reel of one in captivity, probably having a yawn or bark...

No something you want to meet in thick forest whilst looking for firewood at night...

18. zen macrumors 65816

zen

I do believe that the thylacine had the largest jaw-span of any mammal, hence the rather alarming yawn in your avatar!

But while I'm here, can I join the iBook club? Picked up a 12" on Saturday - I've already posted a few questions about it but now I think I can safely create a nice sig for myself!

Zen

19. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Devils are still alive - and black and white not brown as disney would have you believe.

Currently they are under threat from some nasty virus.

20. Moo-Boo thread starter macrumors regular

Moo-Boo

Whoops! Me forget...lousy brain!

G'day there folks,

As danrose and aswitcher pointed out, and quite rightly too, I didn't give you all the specs. I got the low end model, the 12" 800mhz wonder. I know you're going to baulk at this, but I haven't ordered the extra 512 stick of RAM...yet. I ran out of cash. After I have paid my generous benefactor off, RAM will come. I have priced it and found the cheapest source. I'm a little concerned about the performance, but I think I'll survive. I once used an original iceBook (May 2001) running OS 10.0 with 64 mb. Amazing, but true!
    (Mind you, it was slow as a wet week...funny that!) And, as I type this, I am using a 266mhz tangerine iMac, with 256 mb of RAM, running OS 10.2. It's not fast by any means, but it copes with much of my multitasking and is the most stable machine I've ever had. But...having said all that...I can't wait till my iBook comes! Thursday is so faaarrrrr away. Oh, before I forget...yes, lousy brain, I paid $AU1835 for it, including delivery. Exchange rates are pretty volatile right now, so in US terms, I have no real idea what that would be. In the States, all hardware is comparatively cheaper. How I envy you!

Matt

21. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

they sure look nasty dude..i m gonna find a pic myself for screensaver.. :)

22. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Be careful to try and get exactly the same brand of ram as Apple uses.
    The US Crucial company that sells ram for apples probably have that info on their site or someone here can get you the info. Else it might not work or cause problems with OSX.

I would be interested in hearing how it goes with just 128 when you have had it a while...

23. kaylee macrumors regular

kaylee

the ibook comes with 256mb of ram as standard (128 mb built in, and a 128mb stick in the so-dimm slot). with regards to extra ram, have you enquired how much it costs from the store you got your ibook from, because i've found in the past that some of them will sell you apple ram for cheaper than apple charges for it and have included installation and testing in the price.

24. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yep, my bad on the ram. I had assume the 800 was the same as the low end emac.

25. Moo-Boo thread starter macrumors regular

Moo-Boo

Originally Posted by kaylee
    the ibook comes with 256mb of ram as standard (128 mb built in, and a 128mb stick in the so-dimm slot). with regards to extra ram, have you enquired how much it costs from the store you got your ibook from, because i've found in the past that some of them will sell you apple ram for cheaper than apple charges for it and have included installation and testing in the price.

Yes, I certainly have inquired about the RAM, and I can 512mb for $AU200 at epowermac.com.au They're located on the Gold Coast, which isn't far from where I live, Bundaberg, Queensland. And yes, it will be a very interesting study to find out how it copes with 256mb of RAM. Even though, believe it or not, the iBook arrived today (Wed.), I won't open the box until tomorrow, the 1st of April. March hasn't been a fun month, and April means Easter, milder weather and improved work productivity. I know it sounds silly, but I want April to start off in a new and improved state of mind, with a new and improved Macintosh!

But don't worry, my fearless friends, I will, of course, be reporting on what I find out!

Matt