ibook g4 keyboard bent?!?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by bluemonkey, Mar 12, 2004.

1. bluemonkey macrumors regular

I received my new 12" g4 ibook 800mhz yesterday. I lifted the keyboard to make sure the airport extreme card was there, and it wouldn't go back on as easily as it came off. when I finally did get both keyboard locks back in place the right side seems higher than the left, and the F12 key is skewed a little. Did I bend the thing trying to put it back on, or is it just not exactly in place, leaving the right side a little skewed. I am a total laptop newbie, here, so have mercy on me for this!!

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated here.

2. ginoledesma macrumors member

Jan 11, 2002
    Hi, BlueMonkey

No need to worry about it. While it is odd that your keyboard isn't snugly fit with the rest of the casing, I doubt its severe. Simply detach the keyboard again and try your best to make sure it fits as it should be. One tip I can give is to insert the keyboard bottom-side part first, that is, the part near the space bar row. Put it that way in first, making sure that the notches are a little bit towards you (with the keys sticking out towards you a bit), then drop the upper-part to attach the keyboard again. I've had my share of non-flush keyboard reseatings, but I've always managed to put it back the way it was.
  3. bluemonkey thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I gave your advise a try and think that the keyboard may just be a little bent altogether. When I try to reseat it, one side of the keyboard or the other will go into place, but the remaining side won't without a little force. Then, once it is reseated, the keys still seem a bit higher on one side. It's purely aesthetic, I'm pretty sure. The guy I bought it from installed the airport extreme card, and may have bent it in the process of reseating.

Thanks for your help!
  4. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    I bent my keyboard on the first day that I had my iBook, I took out the keyboard and put it back in completely wrong. It took me 20 minutes and various screwdrivers to pry the keyboard back out and get it back in. For about a week after the F12/Eject key stuck and the right side of the keyboard was higher than the left, but since it was locked in place it got bent back into position rather quickly. Some advice: Always make sure that the notches on the side of the keyboard closest to the track pad are firmly locked into place in the frame of the computer. When I messed mine up the left hand side was out of its holes, and the right side in, resulting in some real bending action.