iBook G4 Logic Board Problems

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by OutThere, Jan 29, 2005.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

My iBook died today. It had been exhibiting some slightly odd behavior for about a day, but I didn't think anything of it, because, after all it is a computer, and they often are a bit quirky. I had originally felt that I was safe from the horrible problems that plagued the world of the iBook G3s, thinking that Apple had fixed their issues in this department. Apparently, I was wrong. Today, I was using my computer, when, all of a sudden, it appeared as if someone was pulling a blue (cyan really) shade down my screen. The panel, if you will, was splotched with blocks of yellow and red. I took a picture, thinking I would show people what happened. Seeing as I had no mouse or way of using the computer any longer, I force shut it down, and tried to restart it. No such luck. The computer sat, without a sound, for about 5 seconds, and then proceeded to blast its fan at maximum speed. At this point, the only thing that 'functions' on my iBook are the num lock and caps lock lights. I tried everything that one tries when their computer fails them, resetting the PRAM, swapping out the RAM, firewire target disk mode, (starting from a CD won't work, there's no chime), charging the battery all the way, taking the battery out, and unplugging it to no avail. As a last ditch effort to find people out there who had the same problem as I did, I did a quick google search, (available here: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=ibook+dead+fan&btnG=Search), which, to my complete and utter surprise, revealed many other people with my exact problem, on their iBook G4s. Now, I am very slow to accuse apple for this problem, but I feel that it is more than just a simple failure, like the many that happen to computers each month, when many people report having the exact same symptoms. You must agree with me in saying that these are not normal symptoms of computer failure. The fan running at full speed, in many other iBook G4s, indicates (to me, at least) that there is something more going on than a random failure. It smells like there is something in the design of the computer that predisposes it for this type of failure. Now, anger about my 'insult to apple' aside, I am somewhat at a loss as to what to do from here. I'm interested in getting a little input in a couple things: a) Any ideas how much a logic board replacement will cost? (warranty conveniently expired 2 months ago) b) Will I get to keep my files? I am usually quite good at keeping good backups, but the ~7,000 odd photographs that I had stored on it hadn't been backed up, and cannot be lost. c) Should I go over the phone or to the local Apple guy? — Apple stores are ~45 min. away from here and not convenient to go to. d) Seeing as it is out of warranty, I'm considering doing a complete take-apart to preserve the data on the hard drive (It's within my skills - but I don't know if I should do it). Any advice on some of my questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance if I don't get to thank you soon, as I have to use other people's computers. :)

2. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

I've got one of the iBook G3s with the logicboard problem. I've sent it in to Apple for three replacements and haven't lost any data from the HD at all. Just be sure to de-authorize your iTunes Protected AAC files if you have any. That is the only problem I have had with the logicboard being replaced.

As far as the cost, I'm not really sure since I have an iBook that Apple fixes for free under the logicboard replacement program. If you do have to pay for it and they later determine that it is a more widespread problem, you might get a refund. My old roommate had to pay for a logicboard replacement since his serial wasn't in the original range but then got a refund check after they expanded the replacement program. I can see if he remembers how much it cost him and that might be how much it will be for you. Good luck and hopefully you won't have as many problems as us iBook G3 owners.

3. OutThere thread starter macrumors 603

OutThere

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh....thank you! I feel extremely relieved. I was imaging sending in the computer, and having it come back perfectly devoid of all information - all of my photographs, essays, letters, films, and personal accouterments lost and gone forever, but know I feel much more secure in sending it in. :)

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'd have to disagree. I've never had to send anything in to Apple, but I hear all the time that they do often wipe the drive. Even if they don't, get all your files off first, just in case. Try fw disk mode with another Mac if you can't get to them otherwise.

5. OutThere thread starter macrumors 603

OutThere

Gah. I guess I'll have to look into taking it apart. :(

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Or use firewire disk mode.

7. OutThere thread starter macrumors 603

OutThere

That wasn't really an option seeing as it wouldn't turn on (at all).

I used the past tense there because I just discovered that pressing hard just left of the trackpad allows the computer to boot up, but releasing the pressure for more than about 10 seconds causes the screen to fill with colored blocks and bars. It's sounding more and more like the problem that plagued the G3 iBooks - I can only hope that more people who bought the iBook early will start experiencing the problems, and Apple does the same thing that it did for the G3s - because from what I've found, it costs a lot to get a logic board replaced out of warranty. :(