iBook G4 on Apple's Website!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Pete_Hoover, Apr 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete_Hoover macrumors regular

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Normally you could speculate that it might mean an ibook update soon, but the iBOOK WAS JUST UPDATED!

Its a TYPO

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Doesn't even list an iBook at the company site...

http://www.aspyr.com/products.php?p_product_id=60

5. shakespeare macrumors 6502

A Brenthaven case, being sold in Apple Retail Stores now, that seems to be made for a 12-inch laptop, is labelled 'iBook G4'. Another typo?

6. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

shakespeare, do you mean like a laptop bag/carry case? one of them being labled iBook G4... they might have some news that we missed out on.:eek:

that Apple store thing seems like a typo, but don't forget the iBooks were just speed-bumped, no real upgrades. also, don't forget that there's rumors of the iBooks ending production soon.

oh well, no harm in dreaming.:p ;) :D

7. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

typo, typo , typo ,typo, typo, typo, typo, typo, typo:)

8. Riko19 macrumors member

9. shakespeare macrumors 6502

Yes, I decidedly saw a carry case, made by Brenthaven, being sold at the Cambridge, Massachusetts Apple Store that had printed in large black letters on its orange label "iBook G4". I am certain of this, because I stared at it for a while, trying to see if I was misreading it, but that's what it said.

10. Riko19 macrumors member

you know what i find funny i can get a case from america and it arrives next day from www.maccases.com or summing but when it comes to 17 incher its taken longer than 16 weeks laughable.

:)

11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

maybe the problem is poor punctuation. This: "iBook G4" could easily have been intended to be this: "iBook/ G4"

"also, don't forget that there's rumors of the iBooks ending production soon."

What do you mean? That apple would eliminate consumer laptops entirely (i.e. powerbook or nothing)? There's simply no way.
    Or do you mean ending production as in a new consumer laptop that will not look at all like the ibook? I haven't heard any such rumors either way. Where does this come from?

12. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

yeah, it could be a typo, but i read this article PowerBook Road Map at powerpage.org.

here's the main bit of text:
    * 04/22/2003 - iBook: 900MHz, 32MB VRAM (announced yesterday)
    * 04/28/2003 - iPod 2: Ok so it's not a PB...
    * 05/19/2003 - Aluminum PB15: BT, Airport Extreme, FW 800, Ambient Lighting
    * 06/23/2003 - Apple squashes tablet/PDA rumors at WWDC
    * 08/11/2003 - PB12 speed-bump: 1GHz, FW800, Ambient Lighting, iBook EOL
    * 01/06/2004 - PB17: Dual 1GHz+ and/or IBM PPC 970 processor, Variable Bus Timing

note that on the date 08/11/2003 it says 'iBook EOL'. as i understood it i thought that this meant End Of Line, which is quite possible because when the 970 comes in the iBook (or G3) as we know it will be quite old.

if anyone has different ideas as to what this road map means for the iBooks, then please share.

13. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

generally when a product is obsolete, apple upgrades it, rather than killing the product line... generally speaking, of course.

it's a typo. as for the carrying bag, the idiots that make the bag probably just got the names confused-- ever try explaining to a PC person the difference between an iBook and a PowerBook G4 and why it's a PowerMac G4 but not an iMac G4 when it's the same chip? they probably meant the iBook but but 'G4' after it because they knew the G4 laptop would also fit, something stupid like that...

pnw

14. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

Notice that these are all 3rd party items who mention iBook G4...someone clearly doesn't know what they're saying. Just slipped by apple editors.

This thread should die.

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

on the keyboard, how close are the 3 and 4 keys?

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

17. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

these look like wild guesses to me. So what would apple's plan be here -- to once again put their laptops only in the $2000 and up price range? Yeah, that makes a *lot* of sense. :rolleyes:

As for the age of the G3, this has been discussed here before. With it's low heat output, the G3 is a good mobile chip, arguably better than the G4. Furthermore, IBM has said in the past that it could "easily" push the Sahara G3 chip to 2 Ghz. Do you know how sweet a 2 Ghz ibook with a 200 mhz bus would be? There's no reason that the ibook, or the G3, should or will die anytime soon. Who cares how old it technically is. A 2 Ghz Sahara G3 with a 200 mhz bus would walk all over the current powerbooks in most tasks.

(sidenote: IMHO, the reason we have not seen the full power of the G3s is because motorola screwed up so bad with the G4s... and apple doesn't want its consumer laptop to have twice the clockspeed of its pro laptops. apple also can't very well put G3s back in PBs even if it's a good idea, not after how they touted the G4 as the next great thing. So the PBs have to wait for 970s, and the ibooks have to wait for them in a way also.)

18. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i was thinking today, by saying EOL they might mean that the case, everythning about the current iBooks will change/be revised.

that's feasable, isn't it?

i don't think that these are just 'wild guesses' either. they may not be entirely accurate, but don't overlook them just because it seems to good to be true.

19. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

"i was thinking today, by saying EOL they might mean that the case, everythning about the current iBooks will change/be revised.

that's feasable, isn't it?"

Yes, I think that's entirely possible. The end of the Apple consumer laptop is not however.

I say that these seem like "wild guesses" because it is basically exactly what mac people would hope for. And since when do we get exactly what we want? ;) It just looks like wishful thinking to me, that's all.

20. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Do you mean the backpack? Hey, I just bought that case! It's freakin sweeeeeeet! Much comfier than my old decrepit backpack.

21. howard macrumors 68020

howard

don't worry the ibook is not going anywhere...

as some people already said, it might say eol because its gonna get a big revamp...it hasn't in quite some time. but the model, ibook, a lower end laptop, apple will ALWAYS have. everyone knows apple sells butt loads of ibooks.

22. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

We already have a G4 iBook, it's called the 12' AluBook. :p

23. dstorey macrumors 6502a

this all reminds me of steve on monday...he talks about his sons g4 ibook then corrects him self and says powerbook.

24. brandon_deal macrumors newbie

Pete Your A Loser

It is obviously a Typo, you must be trippin

25. ouketii macrumors regular

hmm, must be real. we know how anal apple is about not releasing specs early..

nah its typo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.