ibook g4 or powerbook g4 for Pro Tools LE?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by psmithc, Jul 2, 2004.

1. psmithc macrumors newbie

Is it really necessary to get a powerbook if i'm going to be using pro tools le? I have a friend now who uses pro tools on an ibook g3 800mhz, don't know the ram. It "works", but can be tempermental.

I'm thinking that an ibook 1.2ghz with the max ram will do the trick, but I just want to see what other people think.

Thanks for the help.

2. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

It would definitely do the trick. The bigger display is nice, too. Sounds good.

3. Groovsonic macrumors regular

I have a 900mhz G3 iBook with 384mb of ram and I run ProTools LE with an mBox and it works great. I am able to get about 20 tracks off of the internal drive. I can't use too many (like more than 7) RTAS plug ins at once, but I think that if I got more ram that would help.

So in answer to your question, a 1.2 iBook would work very well for protools LE.

4. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

The key is RAM - upping the CPU to 1.5Ghz would give you slightly better performance - but RAM will make the real difference in ProTools. A 1.25 iBook with maxed RAM will kick the crap out out of 1.5 Powerbook with 256/512MB RAM.

5. cpjakes macrumors 6502

Don't forget the drive space!!!

And definitely find an external drive for the audio work. The internal will fill up really quickly and it's much slower. With an external, it'll be easier to move projects around if there's a desktop station accompanying the laptop.

I like granitedigital.com, they've got some swappable drive enclosures so you can expand your projects across multiple disks. I think they're called FireVue.

And definitely run it with at least 512MB of RAM. An 867MHz G4 tower crapped out all the time when it was running with only 256MB.

cpjakes