iBook G4 or Powerbook G4?

Discussion in 'Community' started by billsafire, Apr 25, 2004.

1. billsafire macrumors newbie

Hey, Im a 14 year old boy who needs a laptop for high school next year. I've decided to switch to Apple, but can't decide between an iBook or a Powerbook. First of all, what are the differences between the two. Also, do u think i should wait and see if a newer version comes out soon, or just get it for my birthday in may. I want to be able to write word documents for school, listen to music, and play dvd's on my laptop. I also wanna be able to use wireless internet at my house. Should I get a 14 in. ibook, or a 12 in. superdrive powerbook. Thanks...

2. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Why do you need a laptop for high school? I really wanted one too for high school but my father never let me get one, telling me that desktops were more expandable. In the long run he's been correct, a desktop was perfect for me in high school when it really never did matter if I could carry a computer with me. It just would have gotten stolen anyways.

Get a good desktop, expande is as much as you can and enjoy a big monitor. When you get to college (and live off campus) or need one for work move onto a laptop. Just think you can get a dual 1.8 G5 or a single 1.33 G4 powerbook for basically the same amount of money. In the long run, the dual G5 is probably going to make you much happier.

I'm just giving my hard learned advice. I was pretty pissed when I was told no, but in the long run it's worked out much better.

BEN

3. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

he said 'needs,' not 'wants,' so presumably there is a reason. many schools are starting to institute laptop programs, so getting a desktop could be out of the question.

i would probably go ahead and get the ibook at this point in time. it should be good enough to last through the things you would be doing in high school, and it will allow you to save some extra $ (you're 14!!) for other fun stuff, or to go towards another computer before college.

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

The main differences are:

The iBook does not have FireWire800, only FireWire400. If you are not planning on doing extreme video editing you don't need the FW800.

The iBook has 100Mb ethernet, and the PowerBook has 1Gb ethernet. If you are not planning on transferring multiple GB files over a network frequently, the 100Mb ethernet should be more than enough.

The iBook has smaller HDs and less video card tech. The HDs should be big enough for everything but intense video work (projects over 20-30 minutes) and the video card should play all but the newest and most graphics intense games very well.

The iBook will also come with more software: Quicken, AppleWorks 6, World Book Encyclopedia 2004, Sound Studio, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4, and Deimos Rising.

Even the latest iBooks are far more than you need for word processing, DVD watching, and music listening all at the same time! It will do all those things easily over the next four year. You may even want to look at getting a refurb or older model as they should even fill your needs.

I would not wait to purchase, so that you can enjoy your new laptop over the summer.

5. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

current ibooks perform better than powerbooks two years ago. just get the 12" ibook and fill it with memory.

6. AngryLawnGnome macrumors regular

New powerbooks just came out so they might be better than before. I always would prefer those, but I don't know much about which is better. I'm just a powerbook fan because I have one. I also like your sad face.

7. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

yeah, just like i've got a PB and need Dual 2GHz G5 with 4GB RAM. :p

i'd say go for the 14" iBook as well, bigger screen. you don't want to be straining your eyes at such a young age either. :p

i wouldn't worry about network, ethernet ports side of things. i doubt you'd find a network that actually uses GigaBit Ethernet.

the best thing i can recommend is to go to a Apple store, and try out both of the models you're interested in. play some games on both models. then see what you like. :)

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i would get the iBook as well, but if - IF you do not need a laptop i would definately go for a desktop for the reasons listed above, for around the same price as the PB you can get a awesome desktop system that will last you quite a while and then later you can add on a PB or iB or whatever, but this is just my $0.02

9. powerbook4me macrumors member

12inch PB $1799(before edu discount)
    1.6g5 powermac $1799(before edu discount)

What awsome desktop were you thinking of? (that 1.6 is not :p)

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

ok so a 1.6 G5 may not be as awesome as the dul 2.0 but its better than the G4s in the powerbooks, and it will last longer too because of the ability to upgrade it. i have the rev. a 12" powerbook and yeah it works, it does all that i need it to and its portable, but i would still rather have a G5 in it instead of the G4.....the G5 is the future of apple not G4....so i stand corrected, the desktop may not be awesome but its probably a better investment.... :)

11. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

well, just as powerbook is an awesome laptop, powermac is an awesome desktop. but there are great differences in both product lines and it all depends how much money one is willing to drop.

the dual G5 1.8GHz powermac is awesome.

12. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

yea man, get the ibook, a processor can't make you type faster, and all you need it for is running OSX, and typing papers... pretty much. But, i will recomend that you go to crucial.com and buy another 256MB of memory. You want atleast 512MB in your system no matter what you do. OSX will use a lot of it up. But, get the bigger screen, you're going to enjoy that more than the 12"er.

13. busy_ermine macrumors newbie

aluminum is better, but perhaps too expensive

Hi.. I'm an Italian student.
    I personally prefer Power Book G4.
    In my university only 1 teacher and 2 students have a Power Book and when I see them, they are very happy.