iBook G4 Performance

Discussion in 'Games' started by Georules, May 8, 2005.

1. Georules macrumors newbie

Hello! I have been searching these forums for a while wondering if there is a way to improve my performance in Unreal Tournament 2004, but have not found anything yet.

I have an iBook G4 1.2Ghz 768DDR Radeon 9200 OS10.4 and installed the newest ATi Drivers from the ATi website. I turn down the settings all to "Lowest" and "Low" and uncheck all the bells and whistles, and even turned on low sound quality -- but the performance is still far too choppy to get an accurate shot off. I would be happy with just some smooth gameplay, I don't really care about quality graphics, but my buddies play 2k4, so going to 2k3 isn't an option.

Is there anything else I can do or is UT2004 just too much for this hardware? What confuses me is that my old laptop with a P4 2.8 and a Radeon 900 ran UT2k4 fine with only 512 ram and all medium settings. The only difference (other than being a mac of course) is that the processor is not as fast I suppose.

Thanks in advance!

2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

A few things to check:

• Do you have the latest version of OS X installed? ATI doesn't release any drivers, only their Display control panel.
    • Check your power settings, is it set to "Highest" for the processor? Basic, I know, but these things will kill performance.
    • Are you low on disk space? This will slow down your system.
    • Any apps open? Restart fresh to clear your RAM and make sure no other offending processes are running. Many hidden third-party extensions use a lot of CPU time!
    • Do you have the latest update to UT2k4? Each update usually increases FPS dramatically.

Also, the number of bots/human players and map size will also make things slower as they increase, as I'm sure you've noticed. No way to get around that really, since your CPU is at it's limit. The Onslaught maps are especially bad.

3. Georules thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the quick reply.

1. OS 10.4 "Tiger" with all updates
    2. Processor Performance: Highest
    3. 14 GB Free diskspace
    4. Once I restarted fresh and even killed dashboard processes, still no go
    5. I was running UT2k4 version 3334 because that was the demo version I downloaded, the newest patch version is 3355 which I plan to install on the full version if I know that it will actually be worth getting the Mac version of this game for my Mac.

I was just running "Instant Action" Deathmatch on DM-RANKIN which is pretty small that has 4 or 5 bots I think. I'll try a 1v1 and see if that is any better, but the performance is so jerky I am skeptical that is the best solution.

4. amholl macrumors 6502

the latest demo ran fine on the ibook in my sig and i had 10.3.9 and 256 mb of RAM and bout 15 gigs oh hdd. weird.

5. Georules thread starter macrumors newbie

Could Tiger be the problem? are other people haveing graphics problems with tiger? This is my first Mac so I have no idea where to go, who to ask, or what to think.

6. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

Something to try, Tiger has had known issues with World of Warcraft, as the .mpq files are in a constant state of change while playing the game Spotlight will constantly try to index the WoW files causing significant slowdown while playing the game. Disabling Spotlight from indexing the WoW folder fixes this issue(doubt there was anything in there i needed to search for anyway).

In your spotlight control panel you can make it not index certain locations by dragging the file or folder into the privacy pane. I would give that a try. I wouldn't be suprized if this is an issue with many games running on Tiger. And it may only be an issue on slower machines(where the indexing might take up more of your avalable CPU).

Can't promice it will help, but it might be a likely solution to the problem.

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I can run Rankin with 2-3 bots (DM) at 15-30 FPS with texture quality (both character and stuff on the map) set to normal (I noticed no performace increase when turning those to lowest), Dynamic Mesh LOD set to low, World Detail - low, and I have some of those checkboxes ON: Foliage, Dynamic Lighting, Coronas, and somthing esle, I dont remember :p . The game looks good and its pretty fast. DM-1on1-Idoma (my favorite 1on1 map) I have 30-40 fps when I play against Godlike Xan.

See my computer in my sig. Oh and I have 17 GB available on HD.

8. iBunny macrumors 65816

From my PC enthusisast Background, a Radeon 9200 32MB is not a gaming card. It would have been good 3 years ago, but certainly not now. The "newest" game I play on my iBook is warcraft III and it runs pretty good. Still nothing like it does on my PC.

9. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

The demo could also be the problem here. The first demos of UT2k4, I remember, had horrible code that was somehow fixed in the retail version. It went from unplayable to good performance for me when I did that on my old computer.