Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I have an iBook G4 1Ghz - It's been a great computer, but recently whenever I plug in the power adapter into it there's just an arking sound inside the computer and the iBook won't charge. For a while it would charge if you wiggled the power jack into a certain position, but now it won't even do that.

It's not the power adapter; I'm certain of that - I bought a new power adapter and the same thing happens. I'd just send it in for Apple to repair, but my AppleCare expired 4 or 5 months ago. Is there any way I can fix this, or am I going to have to sell this iBook and buy a new one?

paperinacup

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2005
Probably the connection on the actual iBook is bad. Take it in a see how much they'd charge you to fix it OR check ebay for parts and DIY.

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
You're definately going to have to have someone at least look at it to figure out exactly what is wrong, unless you are capable of doing that yourself. Once you know the problem, you may be able to pick up parts off ebay or a few other sites that deal with such issues and put them in yourself. In any case, an "arking" sound is probably not good. I believe the iBooks have a separate power board like some of the other models, so the whole board may be shot. If it weren't for the sound, I would have said it was likely just a bad connector.

Of course, if you're not comfortable taking the machine apart, your only option is going to be sending it back to Apple or taking it to a reseller for repair.

Sorry about your luck.

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
most likely, the DC in board on the iBook is fried/damaged.

my friend had this issue, and managed to find a new one on eBay (IIRC, it's a small daughterboard that you can replace independently of the mobo.. correct me on this if i'm wrong) and replace it himself.

not too difficult of a repair in his opinion, and it sure beats buying a new iBook if that's the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.