iBook G4 Problem..Please help!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by carve, Mar 4, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

carve

Hello everyone, I have had my iBook G4 for about 3 1/2 years now. And I just got a message that says "Please restart your machine by holding down the power button for 50 seconds". I did that, let it stay off for about 5 minutes. Turned it back on and about 2 minutes later it says the same message again. I turned it off, and turned it back on. It seems to be error free for now. I have never dropped my computer! Please help! Thanks!

2. macrumors 65816

cherry su

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

is it a gray screen with a darker text box? If so, then that would be a kernal panic.

3. macrumors 6502a

carve

yes, that is it. How do I fix it? please help, chandler

4. macrumors G5

Consultant

That is "Kernal Panic"

Can be software or hardware related...

5. skd
    macrumors 6502

is there a way to zero in on what is causing a kernal panic?

6. macrumors 68000

Reflow

Have you tried to run disk utility on it? Have you replaced any memory on it recently or downloaded anything before this happened?

7. macrumors 65816

cherry su

Run a Apple Hardware Test (on your iBook Restore CD 1)

8. macrumors 6502a

carve

Well, I lost the apple CD. I haven't replaced memory. And, I havent downloaded anything recently.

9. macrumors 68000

Reflow

Did you run disk utility is I posted earlier? Can you get your hands on TechTool Deluxe

10. macrumors 6502a

carve

Update..

Hello everybody! Thanks for the replies. I went to the genius bar today, the guy looked at it and said that it was airport related. He said that they had to ship it into apple to get it fixed. I was under the extended waranty so it covered the price of it-PHEW! They said I should have it back by next wednesday! Speedy! Also, Does apple go through your peresonal stuff like pictures and stuff? thanks< macluver