iBook G4 problems...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by britishempire, Apr 24, 2006.

1. macrumors member

britishempire

I have a late 2005 model G4 iBook (1.33Ghz) which I've had for around 3 months or so... And it's started to slow down doing simple tasks for no reason that I can tell.

Even when I'm only running Mail, Safari and iTunes, it's prone to just freeze up and show me the rainbow disc for up to a minute or more before going back to normal. And it does this every few minutes while I'm using it.

At first I thought it was because I'd had my system running for about 3 weeks with no restart (was never a problem with any of my other macs) so I tried restarting, and then it was ok again for a while, but now it's doing it all the time.

Can anyone help? :( what might be causing this?

PS: I've installed a RAM upgrade, but I did that as soon as I got the iBook, and it was fine.. so i don't think that can be the problem...

2. macrumors 6502

Applications >>> Utilities >>> Disk Utility >>>>> repair permissions.

I have the same computer and this seemed to help me quite a bit. ITs a quick fix but sometimes its all you need. :cool:

3. thread starter macrumors member

britishempire

Thanks a lot for your advice, I'll try it now :)

EDIT: That seems to have helped. The repair log found a ton of broken permissions. Hopefully this'll help things a lot!

4. thread starter macrumors member

britishempire

Argh. I'm still getting the same problem. It seems to happen mainly after I wake the computer from sleep... and while it's freezing up, I head small disc noises from the HD...

Does anyone have any idea what this is and how to fix it? I don't really want to have to esrase and reinstall the system unless I have to...

5. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How much free hard drive space do you have? If you open up Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder, is there an app or process that's using up a lot of CPU or RAM? Make sure to check All Processes, not just My Processes. :)

6. macrumors G4

Run the cron cleanup scripts to see whether it helps.

Open Go>Utilities>Terminal

type "sudo periodic daily"
    Type in your password when prompted

Once completed type "sudo periodic monthly"
    Once completed type "sudo periodic weekly"

The last one will take a while.

Once complete, close the Terminal.

7. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Or..

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

to run all three..

8. macrumors 6502

I will second the advice of the previous posters, and raise you a "make sure your processor is set to 'highest' in energy saver settings"

check the memory usage of the programs you are using, see if you have any loose cannons.