iBook G4 Problems

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mi5, Oct 30, 2004.

1. mi5 macrumors newbie

Oct 30, 2004
    Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone else is having similar problems to me.

FEB 2004
    Purchase iBook G4 800 and additional 512MB

AUG 2004 (start)
    1st replacement Hard Drive (installed by Apple Tech)
    (iBook was at Reseller for 4 days)

AUG 2004 (end)
    Purchased Airport Extreme Card
    Purchased D-Link DI-614+ Wireless Broadband Router for connection to my cable provider

Oct 2004 (start)
    2nd replacement Hard Drive + Logic Board (installed by Apple Tech)
    (iBook was at Reseller for 2 weeks)

Oct 2004 (end...less than 2 weeks since last work)
    Same problems which I reported to both Apple direct and the reseller Tech
    ...I have been told (by Apple) that if it is the hard drive again (3rd replacement), they will look at a replacement machine!
    ...I have been told by the Reseller he can turnaround in 3 working days...I took the iBook into him Friday and will expect (I guess) a response/update by Tuesday as to what is happening.

The Problem (consistently)
    Whatever applications I have open (I primarily use Macromedia Studio MX2004, Office 2004, iTunes, Safari, Mail, etc) the system simply locks up/freezes, then the only way to restart is to hold the power key down, then when restarting I get either a flashing question mark in a little folder or if I leave it the Apple sign and when (after a prolonged period) it goes into the OS it locks up again. If I am not able to boot, I then go through ALL the troubleshooting tasks/suggestions to reboot with the OS disc 1...run Disk Utility...BUT, initially it can take up to 8 times for this to "recognise" the hard drive...ie. when Disk Utility is "Gathering Disk Information", all it comes back with is the CD-ROM. Finally after repair disk & permissions all seems to be okay until it locks up again.

This last time has come at a really bad time since my final Masters paper for the year is due in a week and I really need my iBook!

Don't get me wrong I still think Apple represents superior quality and the best price for included features, etc (an equivalent Centrino notebook would have cost me up to A$1000 more at the time), but it would be nice to know if Apple stands behind their product!

Do you think Apple will replace my whole iBook when I have had this many problems in such a short space of time and if they do can they do it quickly?

Any thoughts...ideas?

2. MisterG5 macrumors newbie

Jul 23, 2003
    Jackson, MI
    I would call and ask them if you can have it replaced, especially on the third/fourth repair. I had my iBook G3 replaced after what to be the fifth motherboard in it, just be persistent and kind.
  3. alexstein macrumors 6502a

Aug 23, 2004
    I would call apple again and let them know that you want a new iBook. Make sure you have all the receipts just in case they are asking. Don't be to pushy or mad. Be consistent. ...and I don't see why you shouldn't get a new machine...