iBook G4 RAM upgrade - need your help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bamloki, Nov 20, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello guys

I have a iBook G4 notebook here with the following stats:

CPU-Type: PowerPC G4 (3.3)
    CPU-Speed: 1 GHz
    L2-Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
    Memory: 640 MB
    Bus Speed: 133 MHz
    Boot-ROM-Version: 4.77f0

Okay, now here is my problem: I want to upgrade the memory to 1GB and I really don't know which RAM-stick I'd have to buy. (there are so many different types out there ...)

Aaaaaand .... Is it possible to install Leopard on this old notebook without any problems? I'd need it for some work with Office and light photoshop stuff.

Can someone of you guys give me advice?

Thanks!

2. Guest

spinnerlys

I have that same iBook and upgraded to 1.25GB of RAM via a 1GB stick of PC2100 DDR 266MHz 200 Pin Low-Profile 1.25" Memory, which can be found either at MacSales or Newegg or many other online vendors. 1GB should cost around 50 USD.

I did install Leopard on that iBook and it was a slower experience than Tiger, as Leopard requires at least a G4 with 867MHz, thus 133 more MHz don't really cut it.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you but I've found this model (it's cheaper):

http://www.amazon.de/CSX-333MHz-SOD...3NGQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290287215&sr=8-1

Would that be okay too?

4. Guest

spinnerlys

Da bin ich mir net hunderprozentig sicher, da Cyberport das folgende zu sagen hat und daher Amazon widerspricht:

Cyberport:

Und ich vertraue Cyberport mehr als Amazon, but that may be due to me buying a lot of gear from them.

Amazon:

And this is what MacSales has to say:

As MacSales and CyberPort are more reputable in my eyes, I would not get the RAM you linked to, but the proper one.

Geizhals.at

5. macrumors 68030

I had Leopard on my 1 GHz iBook and it ran just fine. Slower than Tiger, but I like Leopard so much better. Certainly acceptable performance, given the machine.