iBook G4 replacement: Used Mac or hackintosh?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iMpathetic, Feb 25, 2009.

1. macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Ah, the thrill of the chase.

My last remaining respectable computer is my trusty iBook -- 1.33GHz G4, 1GB RAM, 40GB HDD, with Tiger and a blue Apple logo. :D

I think it's about time for a new computer though. Assuming I can sell it for like $250 and get a total of $750, would it be worth it to try and find a used Core Duo MacBook Pro (preferred) or a Core 2 Duo MacBook? What about a G5?

Or, would it be a good idea to build a really fast Hackintosh for the same price? I have a lot of experience with PC's as well and had been considering building one anyway.

I don't know if I provide enough information in this thread, so I'm sorry if I don't. Let me know.

Thanks for all your help, MR community!

2. macrumors regular

i would never recommend doing anything against the apple eula, not necessarily because i care about it being illegal, but just for support reasons, if you break it, cant find a driver etc you are on your own. I would suggest you buy an intel mac whether that be a macbook or otherwise, but not a g5 my brother has my old white macbook c2d still a great machine but then it is only 2 years old, i go thru computers like i do burgers (1 a year im on a diet lol)

3. thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

1 a YEAR?

I was at 1 a MONTH for a while.

I am not the least bit worried about breaking the EULA. I don't care that it's illegal. I also don't care about support. If there's an issue, I can figure it out. I like a challenge.

An Intel Mac would be wonderful. I remember my 2.2GHz blackbook -- now that was a computer.

On the other hand, if you don't build it with your own two hands, it's not really yours.

4. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

5. thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Wasn't sure where on the thin line that was, thanks, TS. I thought it wasn't illegal, just had to type the post fast. :eek:

Any input, O Mac Pro god?

6. macrumors regular

i was under the distinct impression that installing os x on a non mac computer computer was illegal (obviously depending on the territory, but in most) otherwise surely it would be going on commercially

7. thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Wow, you're kind of misinformed.... :D

http://store.psystar.com/featured/open-osx.html

But no, it's not.

8. macrumors 68020

dmmcintyre3

I do not think you could get a MacBook Pro for $750 but wegenermedia.com has cheap MacBooks

9. thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I was looking at the Low End Mac deals and you're right, they start at about 850.

I would love to have a MacBook and, say, a 23-inch LCD for it to go with. Maybe I'll just put a 7200RPM HDD in the iBook to make the Mac side faster and then just build a PC/Hackintosh for the heavy lifting.

10. macrumors 68000

Spock

If the iBook still works, why not save some more money and grab a new white MacBook? Fully supported hardware, no hacking needed, warranty, Newness smell...;)

11. macrumors 65816

I personally would prefer an actual Mac to a Hackintosh just because of the feeling knowing I have a real Mac. That may sound stupid, but it feels better to me having a legitimate one. Now, what I would recommend, based on that, is refraining on extraneous computer purchases such as old G4s, etc, and saving up for an Intel Macbook or Mac of some sort.

12. thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Well, in a lot of ways, that would be a good idea. I had a black 2.2GHz SR MacBook once for about a month and loved it. MacBooks are now under $600 all over the place, and while it wouldn't be new, even my beloved iBook wasn't bought new.

However, like I said, I am one of those people who likes to tinker and build and upgrade things. A MacBook would not really help any with that.

I have seen dual 1.8GHz G5s on Wegener Media for only $500. IMO that's a hell of a deal, and they're upgradeable as I get more money.

On the other hand, I could basically build a headless iMac for $500, as well. It'd be a hackintosh and probably trouble to get running, but it would be fun to play with.

See, this is why I'm undecided :eek:

Hell, I've owned probably 20 different real Macs, young and old.

Refraining from any extraneous computer purchases is what I plan to do. It's going to be hard, but I'm not going to act on anything until I have a clear-cut plan.

13. macrumors P6

DoFoT9

if you dont care for portability, i say hackintosh. dont get me wrong i love my macs but unless you have the money they are quite expensive for us youngsters.

14. macrumors regular

15. thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Damn straight.

I don't know, if I can find an insane deal on a real Mac, then MAYBE.

The thing is, if I can be running an E4600 at 3.5GHz with 4GB RAM, a 500GB HDD, a real video card, and a cool case for about $350, then I don't really see how a Mac could possibly compare.

16. macrumors 6502

TJRiver

Hi there. I am with Apple's legal department and would like to have a word or two with you...................:apple:

17. thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! :D:D:p

That was hilarious, mad props.

18. macrumors P6

DoFoT9

pfffffffffffft!!!!!

why go for something outdated when you could have a pretty decent Corei7 for double the price? id go for it. DDR3 too :):)

19. thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Oh, so I've been duped? I haven't been paying attention to PC stuff lately....

...say I have $550 or $600 and want to be able to OC and run a few games (not many). What are my options? :)

20. macrumors 65816

nomar383

I have had several macs now and I really enjoy using my macbook. However, the hackintosh route is considerably cheaper and they truly run very well. On a tight budget, it worked for me when I built mine.

21. macrumors P6

DoFoT9

well im not that good at US conversions, im in australia (hehe)..so dont trust me 100% on this.

i reckon for $600US you could get a lowish range Corei7. mind you the corei7's can be OC'd rather nicely, most of the money for the computer would be put into the GPU (for me anyway). what games do you play?

22. macrumors P6

DoFoT9

me too :) $500 Aus bucks later and im pretty darn happy. $326 US.

23. macrumors 65816

nomar383

I think a Core i7 would set him back a bit more than that. My buddy just built one for almost $1800 :eek:, although I don't know all the specs off hand

24. macrumors P6

DoFoT9

for a bottom-line one i dont reckon it would. as long as the GPU isnt top line then it wouldnt be too expensive. ill have a look at an american website and draw up a quote.

oh btw is your hackintosh CPU an E4*00?? i may have the same as you :) OC'd to 3GHz though easily :)

oh btw btw the OP wouldnt need a monitor aswell, did your friend have amonitor?

25. macrumors 65816

nomar383

idk about the monitor, I'm sure he did

And I think if I OC'ed my hackintosh it would explode into flames lol. Hard to get great ventilation on a G4 Powermac Case

Cheapest Core i7 processor I could find on newegg:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202
    $280 bucks

Motherboards are even more :eek:

Edit: Dirt cheapest MB is $190
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130221