iBook G4: Reseller or Apple?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by StrautC, Dec 3, 2003.

1. StrautC macrumors newbie

Dec 3, 2003
    Hi everyone. This is my first post on the forum, but I've been lurking for quite a while.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on an order for a 12" G4 iBook with 640MB RAM and Airport. The question is, should I buy through Apple with their education discount or through a reseller?

It seems like it would be a pretty easy decision, but in this case the EDU discount at Apple's online store is not going to save me any money in the end over the reseller.

• iBook with the aforementioned configuration for $1323 up front with $100 MIR, so $1223 in the end after rebate.
    • No taxes!
    • Free Canon printer after rebate.
    • "Free" Targus backpack.
    • No way to get internal Bluetooth.
    • Instant gratification - I can pay 30 bucks and it will be here to play with on the weekend.
    • If there are dead pixels I can probably get it replaced.

• iBook with the aforementioned configuration for $1223 up front.
    • Possible state tax. I don't think Apple has a store in my state (West Virginia) so there might not be any. Any body know?
    • Internal bluetooth.
    • Shipping from overseas.
    • If there are dead pixels Apple will tell me to go pound sand.

Have I missed any pros/cons here? Is macconnection a safe bet? How long should I expect to wait for an iBook from Apple direct? It seems like the reseller would be the better deal on the surface, but I'm wondering how much I'll miss bluetooth. An external module would probably be annoying enough to preclude me from using it.

Thanks everyone!
  2. StrautC thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 3, 2003