ibook g4 running very slow

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brsboarder, Apr 17, 2005.

1. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

All of the sudden, my ibook seems to be running really slow, I cant watch a movie in vlc because it drops the feed and gives an error about 5sec and frames. I havent installed anything recently except the update. I have used onyx to repair permissions and do a general cleaning and i zapped my pram any other ideas?

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

How much RAM do you have? You mentioned you used Onyx to repair permissions? Have you tried Disk Utility?

3. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

do you have either firefox or camino running? they are sometimes CPU hogs, especially if you're browsing a flash-heavy site...

4. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Just take a look at activity monitor and tell us what you see....

5. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not running any demanding applcations, ram has maxed out 640mb, I've checked activity monitorcp is 63% user 30 percent system, 115mb free ram on the system, this is will almost little open, safari, cocktail, antivirus live update

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is it possible one of those live updates or a system task is running in the background at the moment? Try going and grabbing some coffee or something, and coming back....

Or, erm, you said you zapped PRAM. So you rebooted and it was slow after the reboot?

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Another thought: How much free space do you have on your HD...? Everything on my iBook G4@800 (also with 640 MB RAM) becomes very sluggish when I have less than ~5 GB free space (of my 60 GB HD)...

...with an iTunes library @34.21 GB it's a struggle to keep >6 GB free... ;)

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hehehe, yeah, this is a good point. I try to keep mine at about 9-10 GB free out of 40, although I let it dip into the 7s or 8s and nothing bad seems to happen....It's at nine right now, although I have about a gig of stuff that needs to be deleted (the previous version of Office, some images I made for Bochs), and then I'm going to do the Tiger upgrade soon...hmmm.... So when Tiger finishes Archive and Install, I'm only going to have about six left, until I can delete stuff. :(

9. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

perhaps there's my answer approx 2gig free, i'll try to free up space and see what happens

10. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Have you had any crashes or freezing, either of one app or system-wide? The reason I ask is because I have the same machine (except with 1.12 GB RAM), and I recently had my hard drive fail... it started out exactly how you're describing. So if freeing up some hard drive space doesn't do the trick, keep an eye out -- if things continue to deteriorate, you may be in the market for a new HD. :eek:

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Cleo, did your smart status fall from verified before this happened?

Original poster, if you haven't already, open Disk Utility from your Utilities folder, and click on the top icon for your hard drive on the left, and make sure that the SMART status is "Verified."

12. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

A friend of mine with a current model 12" iBook with 512 RAM had the same experience as you, cleo. He had to have the hard drive replaced too.