ibook g4 specs + help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jono_3, Jan 26, 2007.

1. jono_3 macrumors regular

im looking for an inexpensive laptop for my girlfriend(so she doesnt break mine :p ) and was wondering if anyone can tell me if this:

http://www.powerbookguy.com/xcart/catalog/iBook-G4-1GHz-CD-12-inch-p-16874.html

is just a cd-rom, or a cdr drive? does combo in this case mean its cdr/dvd, and cd just mean cdr, or just cd? anyone have any experience with powerbookguy.com?

anyway looking for a g4 ibook with airport and a burner i guess if anyone can help

cheers,

jon

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

A combo drive is a drive that both writes CDs and reads DVDs – it can't burn the latter.

The iBook in question looks to be this model, which is listed as having a combo drive – although the page you links to mentions 'CD Drive'. If you have any doubts about the actual spec, I suppose your best bet is to ask the seller.

3. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I currently own/use an 800mhz 12" iBook G4. It's not a speed demon at all - in fact i just gave it to my DD to use for school! I only have 256 ram - and I believe i can only expand mine to 384 or something dumb?!

It probably has a Combo-drive - Plays & burns CDs, Plays DVDs.

I'm trying to remember what i paid for mine - $1199? The price seems high for that old/slow of a machine. But i'm not up on that end of things. Gee, maybe I should sell that next! LOL!!

4. jono_3 thread starter macrumors regular

any suggestions for where to buy a used g4 ibook 12" or 14" ~1ghz with airport and cdr?

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Remember -
    Combo = CD-R , CD-RW
    Superdrive = DVD-R, DVD-RW