Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leeming

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
Hi,

When i turn on my ibook the grey screen appears with apple logo and the circle thing below it. After about 5 seconds it turns itself off. It does this every time?

Any advice would be great. thanks

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
leeming said:
Hi,

When i turn on my ibook the grey screen appears with apple logo and the circle thing below it. After about 5 seconds it turns itself off. It does this every time?

Any advice would be great. thanks

Wow, what's an "iBook start up failer"?

Sounds like a Microsoft spy bug for the mac.

Just kidding, I know you meant to type out the word "failure", correct?

Anyway, what kind of iBook is it? If you have the original install discs, now would be a good time to use them. How old is your book and what's on there?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
leeming said:
When i turn on my ibook the grey screen appears with apple logo and the circle thing below it.

That's called a preen, when fsck is running and attempting to make sure the file system is intact. If it's failing (and shutting off) that's not a good sign.

As noted by the poster above, you should be booting off your installation CDs/DVDs and running Disk Utility to repair the drive.

leeming

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
Thanks for your help.

Its a 14" 1.3ghz G4 iBook. Its a refurb and about 6 months old. It has just came back from being fixed today!

by running disk utility from the installation discs should that fix it?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
leeming said:
Its a 14" 1.3ghz G4 iBook. Its a refurb and about 6 months old. It has just came back from being fixed today!

That means they probably messed something up and you should call Apple immediately and tell them how it was like when you got it back. This way they won't hold you accountable and you can tell them that they're the ones that broke it, not you.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
leeming said:
by running disk utility from the installation discs should that fix it?

That's the hope.. though no guarantees. It may require a more robust disk utility like Disk Warrior or Tech Tool Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.