>iBook G4 Trackpad Problem

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by LaMerVipere, Jun 12, 2004.

1. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

For months now, the trackpad on my iBook G4 has been going nutty.

It works fine for a period of time, then suddenly it doesn't work. It isn't responsive, and is very erratic and basicaly has a mind of its own and is rendered relatively useless. This comes and goes, with no rhyme or reason to it. The trackpad wouldn't work at all for 2 months, but then after installing the 10.3.4 update, it worked fine again for a couple weeks until going crazy once again. Now the button has even gone from being normal to very stiff and creaky when pressed.

anyone know what might cause it or any solutions? or will i have to take it to the apple store to be fixed? blech :confused:

2. ac2102 macrumors member

ac2102

LaMerVipere,

My G4 ibook laptop has been displaying similar problems for a few months. I rang applecare and it seems to be a hardware issue. Unfortunately i have needed to use it so much over the last few months (with an external mouse attached) that it is only now that i am going to get it fixed. It goes in on Monday.

I don't know what causes the problem, but i have heard of plenty of others with the issue.

Hope that helps,

ac2102

3. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

It could be dirty, sounds like a dumb problem but dirt or grime could be getting into the button, although this sounds more like a defective button and trackpad. Take it to an Apple repair center and have them look at it, it will probably need a new top case which houses the trackpad, and button.

4. LaMerVipere thread starter macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

Same here, I couldn't be without a computer for even a week during the school year, so i've just been using an external logitech mouse. But I guess now that school is over I will have to take it to the Apple store, darn it.

Hope yours works well after being fixed ac2102!

5. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

I leaned on my iBook G3 trackpad, and it doesn't work anymore -- the button has gone out, strangely, though. I don't exactly want the hassle of a new top case, so I just use mouse keys away from home (it's under Universal Access and works pretty well once you get used to it), and an Apple mouse at home.