Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
Hey everyone,
my girlfriend has a white iBook G4 12" laptop. She also has purple sheets on her bed. She's washed the sheets repeatedly and they were not new at the time she got the iBook. Somehow, the laptop has turned purple on the edges (the same color as they the bed). We've tried stuff like 409 to get it off, but it just isn't coming off. You can't see the problem unless you put it in the right light or on a certain background (like all-white), but we want to fix the problem, as she's getting ready to sell it.

Does anybody have any ideas so that this iBook isn't purple anymore

jenniff

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2004
Is Chicago, is not Chicago!
mrbrown said:
Hey everyone,
my girlfriend has a white iBook G4 12" laptop. She also has purple sheets on her bed. She's washed the sheets repeatedly and they were not new at the time she got the iBook. Somehow, the laptop has turned purple on the edges (the same color as they the bed). We've tried stuff like 409 to get it off, but it just isn't coming off. You can't see the problem unless you put it in the right light or on a certain background (like all-white), but we want to fix the problem, as she's getting ready to sell it.

Does anybody have any ideas so that this iBook isn't purple anymore

Well, this is intended for scratches, but RadTech's Ice Creme ... possibly. That's what I thought of. If it removes scratches, I don't see why it wouldn't remove ... purple. hehehe. Sorry, that's just funny.

I know it features use for iPods, but if you read the print under features it says:
Enough to restore several iPods, or 1-3 iBooks.​

Anybody else think this will/won't work?

Ajmbc

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2003
Louisiana
jenniff said:
Well, this is intended for scratches, but RadTech's Ice Creme ... possibly. That's what I thought of. If it removes scratches, I don't see why it wouldn't remove ... purple. hehehe. Sorry, that's just funny.

I know it features use for iPods, but if you read the print under features it says:
Enough to restore several iPods, or 1-3 iBooks.​

Anybody else think this will/won't work?

I think it will seal in the purple in a smooth, scratch-free finish :D

jenniff

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2004
Is Chicago, is not Chicago!
Ajmbc said:
I think it will seal in the purple in a smooth, scratch-free finish :D

Alright, I guess I'm dumb and don't realize how this stuff really works, having not actually used it before, nor ever actually thinking about it.

And after what you just said, I think I get it now. And I feel dumb. Retract previous post.

<open mouth>
<insert foot>​

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
Brasso maybe?? have you tried rubbing it with alcohol? or whatever substance the dye on the sheets is bassed on??

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
Try Dove wipes, I'm not sure what name it is, but it's a yellow packet. Should be in the place with all the baby products in a supermarket. It removes paint, pen marks, permanent marker, makeup, etc... so it will probably remove a little purple.

And I don't know why it is so strong, for a baby product.

Maxicek

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2004
If it is on the surface, try Brasso or Silvo (assuming that they have that in the US. It is a liquid cream coloured metal polish, smells of amonia). It's mildly abrasive, great for polishing plastics. BTW, you can use it to restore scratched CDs too.

From my plastics experience, my guess is that the plasticisers in the PolyCarbonate casing have leeched the dye out of the sheets, and the dye is in the plastic. The iBook is a clear polycarb moulding, painted on the inside, I think. If this is the case, I don't think that you can do anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.