iBook G4 Update

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by michaelrjohnson, Feb 29, 2004.

1. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I'm looking at buying the 12' iBook G4, and don't really care about not getting the MOST current version (as it will be a 1-2yr interim computer for me), but I have a question for you all.

According to the MacRumors "Buyer's Guide" the iBook is due for an update within a few weeks. The closest Tuesday to the "predicted" date is March 23rd. Do you suspect updates on or around that date for iBooks, and perhaps other?

Discuss.

2. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

We haven't seen any rumors regarding iBooks for over a month now so I would guess "no." In addition, it appears that the new motorola chip will be used in new iBooks and that will not be in large-scale production for another 3 months at least. I don't think that we will see iBook updates for at least another two months.

3. pinto32 macrumors 6502

There won't be iBook updates until after there are Powerbook updates. They are already remarkably close....another iBook update would be suicidal for (12 inch) PB sales.

4. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I just noticed that the Buyers Guide tells you not to buy powerbooks for updates are imminent. Do they know something they haven't told us?

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

When you're this close to the end of the speed bump cycle, it doesn't hurt to wait if you can.

Especially since the iBook G4 is still a Revision A machine.

6. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

that makes good sense (that the iBook would kill the PB sales) because that's exactly why i'm considering the iBook. Its MOST of the machine for much less money. I guess when I think about it that way, it would almost seem impossible for an upgrade so soon. Only time will tell, i guess.

any other thoughts on the performance of the G4 iBook (800)

7. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

No. Just because it says they are eminent, doesn't mean they are. It goes on an average number of days between updates basis. Sure, updates will happen sometime, but the Buyers Guide is just to fill you in on what has happened in the past, and trying to predict what MAY happen in the future.

8. jhomayne macrumors regular

so for someone like me, who is going to uni in october yet would like to get his ibook as soon as possible because of its sheer niceness, it would be a better idea to hold off, withstand the niceness and wait 'til the end of summer before getting an ibook?

;)

9. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Ahhh but the LCDs are way overdue... Why aren't their updates imminent?

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

yes, I think it would be better to wait. There will certainly be updates before october, but no one is sure when. There could even be 2 updates (average of ~6 months, with last update oct. '03?).

Speaking as a college student, I can say that after 4 years of school, the computer you had going in starts to seem very old indeed. Quite a few of the people I know have gotten new computers, mostly this (my senior) year because their old ones were breaking down or just very slow.

Buying now instead of when updates come out will only make this phenomenon worse for you, and considering that the ibook is already the low end of performance, I would really wait.

11. brhmac macrumors regular

iLove my iBook

I bought my 12-inch iBook G4 about a month ago, and it's the best Mac I've ever owned. Use it for writing, Web design and browsing, iTunes, PhotoShop, etc. and I've even toyed around with iMovie. The machine is a solid, steady and speedy performer. :D

Have it loaded out with 640 mb ram, the 60 gb drive, the bluetooth module and airport extreme -- still worked out to be less, I think, than the base price for the 12-inch PB. It's a great value and a good-looking machine. Small, thin, light.

My only complaint: The power connection needs to be on the same side as the USB, Firewire, etc. ports. :confused:

12. DrEasy macrumors member

Agreed 100% ! I bought mine at about the same time and I'm very happy as well. It is even zippy enough with Eclipse (Java development tool), and that's saying something, although I haven't compiled anything of substance with it yet, so it could be just the 512Mb of RAM speaking at this point...

I also agree that the power connection on the left side would have definitely been better, but I guess they ran out of room... I also miss audio in (would be nice for GarageBand, when I finally get to upgrade iLife). A brighter screen would be nice too, but you get what you pay for (not worth the upgrade to a PB IMHO)...

My advice: GO GET YOUR iBOOK ALREADY! There isn't going to be any upgrade any time soon, it just wouldn't make sense. The only good reason to wait would be for an upgrade in the PB range (if you have that kind of budget that is).

13. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Well the power connection is on the left hand side next to the ports on the 12" PowerBook, along with all the other iBook ports plus an additional audio line in, and the 12" PB is smaller than the 12" iBook, so it can't be too small eh?! Just a different design. ;)

The buyers guide goes purely on averages of previous updates, not any concrete rumours. Displays are very unpredictable so they are not treated the same way.

12" iBook is a nice machine I think but again, it won't be updated until after the PowerBooks. I really think the PBs will be G4 and obviously so will the iBooks. I very much doubt that the next iBook rev will have the new Moto processor - they are much more likely to have 1GHz and 1.25GHz 7447 chips that are currently in the 12 and 15" PowerBooks with 512L2 cache. That new moto chip could be used for the rev after that.

14. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

wow, you guys have provided some great insight. like i've stated before on the board, i am just going to buy the ibook in a few weeks. everything i have heard is positive! unlike a balance of positive and negative with the powerbooks. thanks again!

if you have more opinions/advice, keep posting, I and others im sure will continue to check this thread.