iBook G4 usb problem...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by london70, Oct 23, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

I have an iBook G4 and for some reason both usb ports will not recognize my flash drive, digital camera, or iPod for some reason. They have never done this before and I am extremely confused :confused: . If anyone knows what has happened or has any ideas please let me know asap.

Thanks.

2. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Try repairing permissions. Check system profiler and see if the usb ports are showing up.

Bless

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

I went into the system profiler and I think it shows that they are there...it shows the id's and everythign, but I am not sure what you mean about the permissions. I am not that computer literate...

4. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

In finder go to:

Application>>Utilities>>Disk Utility

Pick the drive that you want to verify/repair permissions and push the button:eek:

After thats completed give it a restart and tell me about it.

Bless

5. macrumors newbie

iBook G4 suddenly not recognizing webcam or MP3 Player

:mad:

6. macrumors 6502

hughvane

To try and deal with both questions about the USB issue, it is probably a lack of USB power. There is a lot of discussion on forums about what will and won't work with laptop USB ports.

As a general rule - and for sure there will be exceptions (aren't there always?) - only low-demand devices like keyboard, mouse and flash drives work without their own power source. Anything other than those - use a powered hub!

Of course, for devices that do not have an external power supply, you've got a problem, but then there are USB splitters that channel the power from both USB ports to the one device.

Keep us posted on any developments.

7. macrumors newbie

amazing

Just thought it worth giving mention that my iBook G4's two USB 2.0 ports were dying slowly over the last month, until a few days ago they stopped recognizing anything. Advice from the stores was to toss the iBook and buy a whole new laptop, of course, but I just found this forum, repaired permissions and now everything is working again, including two external hard drives, one which relies on the USB for power, and another with an external power source.

So I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you for the advice!

8. macrumors newbie

Thank you

Just to say that the above advice sorted me out fine. Thank you all :)