Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hobo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
I've started having my first actual problem with my trusty iBook G4 800. Last night someone was sending me a file and I couldn't put it to sleep. I left it on the floor of my room, which worked out great. When I woke up, the transfer was done and I closed it.

Later, I came to the machine to watch a video in iTunes. The volume was muted, as I usually keep it. I tried to turn it up, but the volume just went all the way back down. Odd. I've never had the physical white key on the "Volume Down" button, ever since I bought the machine used. The little silicon nipple thing was there and worked fine for pressing it. That little piece came off when I tried to see if it was stuck. This is where it got kinda bad.

Every time I turned up the volume, it was like the down button was just fully stuck. I could mute it, but it would just un-mute as if I'd pressed the down button. I tried to watch my video, but I obviously couldn't hear it. I tried a restart. Nothing. I tried to remove they keyboard. Also nothing. The only way I could watch my video was to use the menu-bar slider for volume and then unplug the keyboard! All I had was the trackpad to use at that point.

As soon as I plug the keyboard back in, the problem starts up again. It's pretty annoying, considering I enjoy a good iTunes/iMovie/Garageband session, all of which are unusable at this stage.

I don't know if it's a problem with the keyboard or the computer. The iBook is a G4 800 12" with 768MB of RAM, and it's running OS X 10.4.10, fully updated.

Thanks a lot for your help! I don't look forward to putting any money into the machine, hah!

hobo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
Just an update, sorry for double-posting.

It looks like leaving the keyboard unplugged for several hours helped. I hope that it isn't an intermittent problem, but if it comes back I'll bump this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.