Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
They're both very similar machines in my opinion, the PowerBook of course, is Aluminium while the iBook is plastic, I want to get your opinions on performance, output ports, benchmarks etc.

In my opinion I think I prefer the PowerBook due the aluminium casing, the fact you can get it in 17", and the endless number of ports. What do you think? :apple:

DockMac

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
IIRC, the PowerBook graphics has separate RAM, while the iBook is integrated to system RAM. PowerBook all the way.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
No brainer, it is like comparing an MB to an MBP. Powerbook all the way, you also have illuminated keys with the PB which I love, especially in low lit places like airplanes and bedrooms.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
The issue I have with questions like this (and why I never partake) is how can I or anyone else tell you what computer is best for you? We don't know you and all your computing habits at all so any of us could easily be misleading you.

As far as overall power goes.. the PowerBook clearly has more rocket sauce. Faster bus, video, RAM etc etc. They both use the same 7447 CPU but the PB offers faster clock speeds.

Your choice should be at least 90% based on your direct needs and only you know what those are. Please just pick one and enjoy it. :)

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
The issue I have with questions like this (and why I never partake) is how can I or anyone else tell you what computer is best for you? We don't know you and all your computing habits at all so any of us could easily be misleading you.

As far as overall power goes.. the PowerBook clearly has more rocket sauce. Faster bus, video, RAM etc etc. They both use the same 7447 CPU but the PB offers faster clock speeds.

Your choice should be at least 90% based on your direct needs and only you know what those are. Please just pick one and enjoy it. :)

I wasn't necessarily asking what would be best for me, I just wanted to see what people's opinions on them so I can base my choice around other people's, if you know what I'm getting at? I've been lucky enough to sell my laptop for more than I was expecting so I'll be getting one of these two very soon. So I'm a happy boy at the moment! :D

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
The Powerbook does not have separate ram for the video, as far as I know, and I know a lot.

The last revisions of the iBook the 12" 1.33 and the 14" 1.42ghz came with the more modern features that we expect on laptops these days.

So did the 12" Powerbook 1.5ghz/15" and 17" Powerbook 1.67ghz with DDR2 ram.

Such as USB 2.0/Bluetooth 2.0/Sudden Motion Sensor etc. These are features lacking in the previous generations, though some Powerbook lines might have had a feature or two previous to the final revisions.

The last revisions of the iBook came with 512 ram BUILT IN on the logic board. This makes the 12" iBook in some ways a faster computer than the final revision 12" Powerbook that only has 256mb ram built in on the logic board. Both only have one ram slot, so the iBOok maxes out at 1.5gbs of ram, the PB at only 1.25gbs. It makes a difference.

When choosing between the two, I usually went for the Powerbook if I needed it to suffice as a desktop computer at times because the Powerbook has 64mb of video ram DVI while the iBooks only have 32mb of video ram through VGA connections.

That was usually the deal breaker for me. But if you want a great 12" laptop, really the iBook is faster and upgradable just as much as the 12" Powerbook if you don't need the video ram. In my estimation the ram bump in the iBooks makes up for the paltry CPU loss of 1.33 compared to 1.5ghz in the Powerbook.

In order to run Powerbooks or any PPC Mac today, you have to install the right codec for Flash, it's something like 10.1 something.

Runs it decent.

I own the final 15" Powerbook 1.67 with DDR2 ram and a 250gb hard drive, with the High Res screen and 128mb v ram. I can run my 30" Apple Cinema Display off of it.

It's fast enough, the screen is large enough for me and it's perfectly fine.

It has all the more modern ports -- for example with the iPhone you do need a 2.0 usb etc.

Only limit is iLife 09 is final iLife you can install and Leopard of course.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
The Powerbook does not have separate ram for the video, as far as I know, and I know a lot.

The last revisions of the iBook the 12" 1.33 and the 14" 1.42ghz came with the more modern features that we expect on laptops these days.

So did the 12" Powerbook 1.5ghz/15" and 17" Powerbook 1.67ghz with DDR2 ram.

Such as USB 2.0/Bluetooth 2.0/Sudden Motion Sensor etc. These are features lacking in the previous generations, though some Powerbook lines might have had a feature or two previous to the final revisions.

The last revisions of the iBook came with 512 ram BUILT IN on the logic board. This makes the 12" iBook in some ways a faster computer than the final revision 12" Powerbook that only has 256mb ram built in on the logic board. Both only have one ram slot, so the iBOok maxes out at 1.5gbs of ram, the PB at only 1.25gbs. It makes a difference.

When choosing between the two, I usually went for the Powerbook if I needed it to suffice as a desktop computer at times because the Powerbook has 64mb of video ram DVI while the iBooks only have 32mb of video ram through VGA connections.

That was usually the deal breaker for me. But if you want a great 12" laptop, really the iBook is faster and upgradable just as much as the 12" Powerbook if you don't need the video ram. In my estimation the ram bump in the iBooks makes up for the paltry CPU loss of 1.33 compared to 1.5ghz in the Powerbook.

In order to run Powerbooks or any PPC Mac today, you have to install the right codec for Flash, it's something like 10.1 something.

Runs it decent.

I own the final 15" Powerbook 1.67 with DDR2 ram and a 250gb hard drive, with the High Res screen and 128mb v ram. I can run my 30" Apple Cinema Display off of it.

It's fast enough, the screen is large enough for me and it's perfectly fine.

It has all the more modern ports -- for example with the iPhone you do need a 2.0 usb etc.

Only limit is iLife 09 is final iLife you can install and Leopard of course.

Thanks for the great answer! One correction though... ;) You can actually upgrade the PowerBook's RAM to 2gb in later revisions...

I really like both machines, I think though I'll have to toss a coin to the one I'll get... Once again, thanks for the great answer man! :p

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Thanks for the great answer! One correction though... ;) You can actually upgrade the PowerBook's RAM to 2gb in later revisions...

I really like both machines, I think though I'll have to toss a coin to the one I'll get... Once again, thanks for the great answer man! :p

In the 12" Powerbook there is only one open ram slot and it was never bumped to DDR2 ram. Only DDR 2700. Also same for last revisions of iBooks.

In the 15" and 17" Powerbooks there are two ram slots, so you can get 2gbs of ram as I have in my 15" final revision Powerbook.

Whatever machine you get, max out ram and get either a 250 or 320gb ide ata pata (not SATA) hard drive. Bigger is faster in hds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.