iBook G4- wireless is SLOW.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Hidendra, Oct 31, 2008.

1. macrumors member

May 19, 2008
    It's not the router, I know that..

On speedtest.net to Montreal I get around 4-5mbps download usually. On another laptop, I get 15-18mbps. laptops are side-by-side. It also randomly will stop working (ie in Firefox it'll take a minute to open a page (that's just doing the hostname lookup.. I use free DNS servers, my ISP's were slow.)

Any reason why the airport extreme card is extremely slow? Also, when I do a direct ethernet connect, it's also slow... ?
    I did get 11 mbps a long time ago, I never seemed to get that again. I am using 10.4.11, 1.2ghz, 768mb ram. I do the speedtest when basically nothing is running (Adium/Skype is all pretty much).

2. macrumors 65816

Jul 17, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Same as my PowerBook, I'm wondering if there is a solution to this as well.
  3. Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Regarding the DNS lookups, are you sure you've chosen good alternate DNS's if your ISP ones are not good?

Regarding the rest, it doesn't sound right to me. I don't have my iBook G4 anymore, but its speeds under Tiger were much more along expectations than that.

Hmmm... here are some thoughts.

- If this is happening on both Airport and Ethernet, then you've already ruled out things like problems related to the encryption standard. But I will ask one more router-side one, anyways, because its a thing that Windows and OS X may respond to differently. What's your router's DHCP lease duration? Try adjusting it to make it longer, and also make sure OS X isn't letting the DHCP lease expire (in the TCP/IP settings). Also, although much less likely if you don't have these problems with other computers, if your router is obtaining a DHCP lease from a modem, make sure it's set to keep renewing it / keep it alive. This is a problem with DSL particularly sometimes.

- Now on the Mac, go and check your IPv6 settings. If IPv6 is turned on, see how it performs with it disabled. This might help quite a lot.
  4. thread starter macrumors member

May 19, 2008
    Yes. I use them on my linux box and other laptop - they are fast.

I don't use DHCP. It's manually configured static ip (for port forwarding). I do not use DSL, I use cable.

Not much of a difference with it off :/
  5. macrumors member

Oct 27, 2008
    im not sure what your problem is exactly but if the computer is still in warranty or applecare, bring it down to a genius bar and have them fix it. :D
  6. macrumors 6502

Nov 22, 2007
    This this issue isolated to your home network, have your tried out a friend or family members network?

Ignoring what the speed testing states, have you tried a like for like download?

How about from Mac > 2nd Computer, then from 2nd Computer > Mac... Same transfer speeds?

EDIT: Same issue with a wried set-up?
  7. thread starter macrumors member

May 19, 2008
    Yes, same issue with wired. I can get 200-300kbps for download. On the other laptop for the same downloads I can easily get 1mbps+
    Transfer speeds between computers are slow as well.

Is this somehow a hardware issue or os x having a problem? I could install linux - been meaning to install arch or something similar on this for a while now, and see if speeds are any better. Or at least try it in a live environment for now.