iBook G4 woes

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Telp, Oct 18, 2008.

1. macrumors 68040

Telp

Yesterday, my iBook g4 was working perfectly. I unplugged the computer so that I could move it, and when I went to power it back up, nothing happened. It starts to boot up, the bell chimes, and the apple logo appears. Than, the wheel goes into an indefinite spin, and the computer makes no sound after that. This is an iBook g4 1Ghz processor, 756 MB RAM, and running Leopard. It has been working just fine up to this point. Any input on the matter would be great. Thanks.

-Telp

2. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I'd start by booting from your install disc and use Disk Utility to verify/repair your disk.

3. thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

I have done this. Everything checked out alright. I also tried resetting the PRAM and PMU.

4. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So just to make sure I'm understanding you rightly...

- The computer can boot fully and function (i.e. OS X boots up graphically so that the installer and disk utility and all are available) when booted off an install/restore DVD

- The HD can be mounted while booted off the DVD

- You did repair DISK (and not repair permissions) and the final indication was that the disk passed the fsck verification?

5. thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

You are understanding correctly.

6. macrumors 603

Warbrain

Let it sit without the battery in it for an hour or so. Let everything decharge. Then try it again.

7. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If that doesn't work, boot (off the HD) in Verbose mode and report back what's going on around the time of hang.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPSystemStartup/Articles/BootProcess.html

8. thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

9. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Erm... yeah, that's a toughie.

I'm assuming that, at some point, it stops giving updates on the screen and just sits there, analogously to the visual boot hanging at the spinning circle. It may either end with a line indicating a kernel panic or it may just give the initiation of the last successfully started boot item and then just never finish that item.

So what you'd want to do is just get down what the last few lines are.

Or better yet, get your camera or phone and take a picture of the screen when it reaches the hang point.

Alternatively, you may be reaching the point where you should cut your losses, backup your home directory, and re-install. :(

10. thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

Before I took this to the apple store, the system hung after giving the airport ID, or somewhere around that. At the apple store, they attempted to reload the 10.5.5 combo update on it, and now, the system goes into, what i would presume to be an infinite reboot process. The last couple lines give...

Bot boot device
    BSD root
    CSRHIDTransition Driver
    CSRHIDTransition Driver
    USBF
    USBF
    CSRHIDTransition Driver

Then it says something else, followed by a kill all processess, a stream of code runs down the screen, and then it reboots.