iBook G4 won't charge

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AlbinoPigeon, Nov 11, 2005.

1. AlbinoPigeon macrumors member

Hello,

I have been having the problem on and off for about a month now. It started with my iBook (while being plugged into AC) randomly switching to battery power (as if it had been unplugged, but it wasn't). Usually unplugging and replugging would work, or sometimes a simply jiggle.

Now it's gotten serious. It will not charge at all. The plug-in still glows orange as if it is charging, but the computer won't recognize it, and the battery itself wont blink to indicate it's charging (the underside where the power indicator lights are).

Does anyone know what's going on? The iBook is about 1 year old. (G4 800MHz).

Thanks!

2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Have you taken out the battery, to see if it is to do with the cord? If the cord won't power it without the battery you have either broken the cord or the connection part on the iBook (unless it is some rare glitch). If it works with the cord it is probably the battery being dead.

3. AlbinoPigeon thread starter macrumors member

The cord works, it still lights up orange after it's plugged in. With or without the battery, it still lights up orange and it still won't turn on.

4. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

Check the battery capacity - it may just be that the battery is knackered.

Download this awesome app - coconutBattery.
    http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

Upon loading it up you'll be presented with a similar window to this:
    [​IMG]

Compare the original battery capacity to the current one. If it's low then you will need to replace the battery.

5. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

Hang on... I think I may have missed the gist of the thread entirely :)

6. AlbinoPigeon thread starter macrumors member

Haha, yeah. I can't even start up right now! But thanks anyways, esp. for the app info!

7. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

Hehe, soz. I thought I'd leave that info there though anyway as it's very useful!

The only thing I can suggest it to first try/buy a new power adaptor. If that fails, contact Apple Support or go into your local Apple store/dealer and get them to take a look. It could be a loose connection from inside the machine.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is the adaptor's little appendage thing (the bit you jam into the gaping side of the iBook) pretty much perfectly straight? Could you try using a different charger or a different battery to narrow down which part is causing the problem? :)

9. AlbinoPigeon thread starter macrumors member

Problem Solved

I went to a local reseller and got them to test my adapter. Problem solved! Even though it was glowing orange, it was still messed up somehow.

Lesson: It can still be broken if it's still glowing, so if anyone else comes across this problem in the future, now you know.

So $99.00 later, all is well!

Thanks a lot everyone!