ibook g4 won't stop freezing

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by GrannySmith_G5, Dec 11, 2004.

1. GrannySmith_G5 macrumors 6502

Ok, so I had a problem with ibook freezing every 15 minutes and requiring a manual shutdown. My screen was also dimming on and off and there was a bright light at the bottom of the screen. Randomly when I rebooted, the screen would be all fuzzy. I figured it must the logic board so I sent it in for repairs.
    Well they replaced the lcd screen, and that was it. It still freezes on me constantly( mostly when I move the screen or apply any pressure on the bottom of the machine. I've tried removing the extra ram, but that does not help at all. I have been on the phone with them and they insist it is not the logic board. Oh yeah, I had 4 kernel panics last night.

Any one have any ideas what the problem might be? Software related perhaps? I've already had 3 repairs in the past 13 months and I just want a computer that works. Argh.

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Try putting in the hardware test CD and see if something turns up on that. Repair Permissions in Mac OS X (Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility).

At a last resort, try doing an archive and install of Mac OS X and that will rule out a corrupt system file. Doing an archive and install will NOT destroy the contents of your Applications, or Home folders. It will just replace the System Folder and its contents. Its kinda like doing a "Clean Installation" back in the days of Mac OS 9.

If you have an external HD, boot off that and that will rule out a bad HD. If you have an iPod, or iPod mini, you can install Mac OS X on that and boot from it.

If that doesn't work and taking the RAM and AirPort cards out if you have one installed, then it has to be a bad logicboard. There's nothing else that it can be. Especially if its not running hot, and the screen has been replaced.

3. GrannySmith_G5 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm running an archive and install right now. I can't seem to find the hardware test cd. Thanks for the response, hopefully things will be all smoothed out.

4. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

If I remember correctly, I think the hardware test is actually located on the software restore DVD, and not on a separate disc (as it used to be when everything shipped on CDs). Assuming that is, that you got a single DVD rather than the 6 or so CDs that Apple used to ship.