ibook G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Jimmieboy, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Jimmieboy macrumors 6502

Jimmieboy

Hi everyone. I was thinking of buying another computer for school. I was looking at the ibook G4 because it's small and is meant to have great battery life. The best price I can find on for in Australia is around $1300. Thats just for the baseline model. I'd want to upgrade the RAm so I'd add an extra $100 to that. What I was wondering was, how much do you think I'd pay for a new 12" ibook G4 at the end of the year in december. That is, if I can find one. I was thinking of foing for a second hand one but the one's I've seen aren't that far off a new one. Any feedback is appreciated.

2. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

Personally I wouldn't buy a iBook at this stage....Go with a macbook baseline model and be happy with it :)
    With the edu discount the base macbook is AU$1,574.10 so not that much more than you would be paying for an outdated ibook...

Ohh BTW if you really want a 12" iBook
    $1,099 from the online store (25% off original price)
    AU$1,219

3. Jimmieboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Jimmieboy

Would ya look at that! They must have just been put up. i looked before and there were none. Thats good. How much do you think they'll go down by in about december? Do you think apple will still sell ibook re-furbs on their site then? And also, if I do buy a refurb I can't be guarenteed that the battery will last that long.

4. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

If you follow the links (Apple Store -> Mac Accessories -> Power) you can still buy an iBook G4 battery brand new, so you'll be guaranteed about 4 - 5 hours battery life when doing light tasks. As for refurbs, they come and go, eBay is another option.

5. Jimmieboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Jimmieboy

How much do you think new ones will cost in december? That's assmuning I can find one. Will it be more like $1200 or less? I know it's hard to guess but I haven't followed any discontinued lines beofre. Thanks

6. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

By December I'm guessing it'll be around AU$900 for a basic one and around AU$1100 for more RAM, new battery, OS X 10.4 etc.

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I agree, go with a MacBook Jimmieboy, but if you really, really want an iBook G4, then buy one from Apple's refurbished store. :)

8. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

The ibook G4s aren't bad machines, I am typing on one right now and it has vitually a new battery still (96% according to coconut). For basic stuff, maybe just find a cheap G4 and buy a new battery. money saver + great computer

9. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

Of course if you want something cheap to carry around with you for 1-2 years then a G4 iBook will do you fine.
    But if you want something that will have the ability to handle pretty much anything you may need to do for many years then go for the macbook.

10. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

I have an iBook for sale if you are interested. :D Opening bid is $799. 1.5GB RAM, keyboard and port protector and carrying case included.

I was surprised by how much I actually could do with it. It is very equip for most things. I just wanted a MacBook because I wanted to have 2GB RAM instead of 1.5GB. Just a pet peave of mine. :D

11. Jimmieboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Jimmieboy

Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't really after a macbook. I already have my imac so I wasn't after anything that powerful. I just wanted one that had great battery life and was small. The 13 inch is a little too big for me. The smaller it is the better.

12. Jimmieboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Jimmieboy

I was also wanting to buy one in december so I can get some of it paid for xmas by parents and so I can have it for school (my last year of high school).

13. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

If you are interested in the one in my sig, PM me. It still has applecare for another two years and a great battery. just a thought. but regardless, it's a wonderful machine.

14. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

unless you need the applecare/xp stuff, you can find some amazing deals on ebay/MR marketplace for the g4 ibooks. even with an extra battery, you can still save a lot over the cost of a new macbook.

watch/lurk/jump on a good deal from one of the 'need to sell the ibook to buy a new macbook' folks...;)

wouldn't trade my g4 for an intel. i dare any macbook owners to compare battery life, and mine isn't a burn hazard :eek: . better than 5 hours with a high capacity battery....

peace out.

15. zane macrumors 6502

16. Jimmieboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Jimmieboy

Thanks for the advice. I'll be looking for one around xmas time. Preferably a new one. Not that there's anything wrong with a second hand one. I just love the smell of new apples:) Anyway, thanks again!

EDIT: Also how it's rreally annoying that on the US site you can customise an ibook on the educational site but you can't in Australia, you can only get the pre-configuration.