ibook game question

Discussion in 'Games' started by Anarchy99, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

Dec 13, 2003
    my school is lending me a ibook for work which id use it for but id be lying if i said i wouldn't play a game or two on it at times but what games could it run?
    a friend of mine was loaned one and the specs are 800mhz g3 16mb ati rage gfx card 256megs of ram and a 30gb hd
    i wont get mine tell Wednesday most likely but i assume the specs are the same cause they came from he same place ect.
  2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    That 16MB card will severely limit you to older games... but I dont think its the RAGE card. 800mhz iBooks shipped with better cards, if I remember correctly. What kind of games are you looking to play? Count out any recent First Person Shooters...
  3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    crazzyeddie is right but you can run some older tried and true stuff, ever play RTCW? great fps and i think your in. Rule of thumb titles a year or less old will be a problem but that still gives you a lot to choose from. check system requirements.
  4. iZzle macrumors member

Jul 16, 2004
    well you can run age of mythology. im clear on that one since i bought it not knowing it required 16 and i had 8...boohoo. my friends ibook had 16, 256 ram, 600 mHz, so youll be fine. :)
  5. cluthz macrumors 68040

Jun 15, 2004
    The 800 mhz iBook had a 32mb (some models 16mb) Radeon 7500 which is waaaay faster than the 16mb Rage (we are talking 3x-4x faster...).

Anyway, Soldier of Fortune II, Medal of Honor, Dungeon Siege, Newerwinter nights, The Sims, Quake 3 will all run ok (don't expect to run with max details).
    And tons of others aswell.
  6. Anarchy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 13, 2003
    i was told it would be a rage but 7500 radeon is better so cool :)
    one of my friends recommended Spider-Man 2 which need 700mhz g3 but it needs a 32mb video card but if the ibook only has 16mb would i be able to run it on low settings? and what other more recent games could run on even low settings
    oh and thanks to everyone trying to help
  7. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    AoM might be a bit choppy. It ran pretty well on my 800 MHz G4 but was still sort of slow. Of course this is with max details though. Anyway, your choices are limited but there are still some good games that will work on it. AoE II is one the best games to ever hit a computer and will run fine on the iBook you are geting. It ran perfectly on a G3 500 MHz iBook. It asks for 233 MHz or higher and OS 8.6. So that shouldn't be a problem. MoH: AA will problay run. Just not on max settings. But it's a mac classic.
  8. ijimk macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2004
    Play some classics that are waaaaay fun Diablo 2 , starcraft , and Warcaft 3 with settings on low. Blizzard is known for having uber games with dirt low settings. Enjoy :D
  9. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Sep 14, 2003
    Hell, I've got a G5 and I still play starcraft more than anything else, which isn't a ton, but it's still my most played game. It's great and will run like butter on your iBook.
  10. yoda13 macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    You can also play Tropico and Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds.
  11. vraxtus macrumors 65816

Aug 4, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Especially with ALL that hardware acceleration SC uses. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight. :rolleyes:
  12. mishi macrumors regular

May 22, 2004

Yea i have to agree, even with my PC i play SC a lot, along with Doom 3 and KOTOR. SC is a great game, better than any other game of its time even better then some current games.
  13. iZzle macrumors member

Jul 16, 2004

Yes, AoM will work smoothly with the settings down. And You HAVE to play AOE2. Heck, that worked on my 550 MHz G3, 384 MB, 8VRAM iBook.I still highly recommend AoM, maybe bc I feel addicted to it right now. hmm...

yes. deifnitely WC3. It's such an awesome game.

Yep- Basically if you can play AoE2, then you can play SWGB. I'd recommend AoE2 over SWGB, bc it's very diverse (and the scenarios are real historical events)
  14. cluthz macrumors 68040

Jun 15, 2004
    I was over to a friend yesterday (who has a 667mhz G4)
    he run these games:
    UT (the old one)
    Heroes 3/4
    4x4 Evo 2

OS9 Games
    Alien Nations
    Rainbow 6
    Carmageddon 2
    Deus Ex
    Starwars Racer
    Aliens VS Predator

You have plenty of options.

If you are loanig this computer for a long time,
    you'll considering to upgrade the ram a bit
    (removing one 128mb stick, adding a 512mb stick to bring it up to 640 mb)
  15. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2004
    Fullerton, California

may i suggest QUAKE 3 for your killer iBook? its such a great game and you can run it on MAX settings and youll have at LEAST 60fps on your iBook, i have a 600mhz G3 running Q3 on HIGH settings and i get like 70-90 FPS...you should get better...have fun!
  16. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    If you want to turn down AoM it may run. But I have my doubts. That's ok though, AoE II will work.
  17. MrCommunistGen macrumors regular

Mar 14, 2004
    "Wherever you go, there you are..."
    A Classic!

If you can find it (which i highly doubt) try out Master of Orion 2. It'll run on a 25Mhz 68040 for those of you who remember what an '040 is, and you don't need the cd if you do the full install... the good old days. I probably frittered away months of my life to that simple but captivating game.
    SC and Diablo 2 are good too! :)

18. Anarchy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 13, 2003
    cool thanks im going to try age of mythology i heard it was a good game
    oh that reminds me i heard a rumor you could install the AoM expansion on the mac by taking the files from the pc version and putting it in the proper folders on the mac copy is this true?
    if it is il buy a copy when i pick up the mac version on Wednesday
  19. iZzle macrumors member

Jul 16, 2004
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=86661 That should answer your question. I really wish we had it on mac...I wish even more that PC could play VS Mac, like WC. Hmm...Does anyone know any reason Ensemble wouldn't do that? :confused:

EDIT: Whoops! Didn't realize you were they same person to ask the quesiton on the other thread. Guess that doesn't help much. :p
  20. mms macrumors 6502a

Oct 8, 2003
    AoE II is great and will run perfectly fine. Doom ][ would be fun as well. There's also a website that preserves old abandonware that you would want to check. I don't know how many of these will run native on OS X but I've found some old favorites like SimCity 2000 there.
  21. Anarchy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 13, 2003
    yeah i heard it on macgamer forum or insidemacgames forum or some other forum like that but where ever i ask it i cant get any confirmation
  22. Anarchy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 13, 2003
    i looked at another game thats fun on my friends gamecube and its on the mac :)
    Worms3d and the system requirements are
    *Mac OS 10.2
    *PowerPC G3/G4 600 Mhz
    *256 Mb RAM
    *Hardware accelerated 3D Graphics Card with 32 Mb VRAM
    *DVD Drive
    *1.3 Gb free hard disk space
    *Mouse and Keyboard
    *QuickTime 6
    now this ibook meets all of them except 32mb vram but it has 16 (hell if im lucky it might have 32mb)
    now my home computer is a imac dv se 500mhz with 8 vram (its sad a school loan is better than my comp)
    but even though it only has 8mb on low settings i get around 30fps with maxpayne and good fps with RTCW and both have a minimum spec of 16mb vram and the rest meets the machines specs
    so i have no experience with running 32mb games with a 16mb card is it worth it on low settings or will it be a semi pretty slide show
    anyone have experiance running games like that on old machines