ibook gaming help

Discussion in 'Games' started by Anarchy99, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

if you read my topic a month back my school was going to give me a 800mhz g3 ibook but there were delays and it arrived yesterday but i can get it after they get **** onto it on monday but because it was a month or so delay they sent me a 1.2ghz g4 32mb radeon 9200 gfx card and 256mb of ram
    a good upgrade for waiting a month so i was wondering what games could i run on it
    (i like FPS ,RPG and stuff like that if it helps)

2. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

You'll be able to run just about anything on the market on that iBook. The older stuff will work great while then newer stuff will require you to lower the settings a bit.

I suggest starting with the classics Quake 3 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein and working up from there.

3. Anarchy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

cool i think il try quake and that
    one question how will ut2004 run ?

4. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

That iBook will run some good games. Call of Duty, Age of Mythology, Age of Empires II, and Medal of Honor Allied Assualt should be enough for starters. You could even run Halo with the settings turned down. All those games I just mentioned run on my iBook which is a 933 MHz Panther. Including Halo. You have a pretty nice selection there.

5. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Turn the settings down (you don't have to turn them all the way down) and it should run nicely. Very fun game, BTW

6. noirnoir macrumors newbie

war3 andworldof warcraft run pretty good on this thing too . this thing being a 12 inch 1.2 ibook 768 ram

7. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Say what!? Putting a UT2004 on an ibook is the dumbest thing i've heard.
    Even on lowest settings it will lag. And you can forget about ONS or Assault modes.

8. applekid macrumors 68020

What?

I'll agree Onslaught or Assault may not be able to handle it, but the other game modes should be pretty sound. When I tried playing the demo with everything down on my 800 MHz G4 iMac w/ GeForce4MX, I got just under 30 FPS with a Deathmatch with several bots. I don't see why an iBook that is fairly better off than my iMac couldn't run some of the other game modes with some tweaking and not too high number of bots or players.

Get Call of Duty. Some spare RAM would help. And instead of relying on us for suggestions, head to MacGamer.com or InsideMacGames.com and read up.

9. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

I had tried this on many computers. Go ahead, get it. Just don't tell me I didn't warn you. heh. :cool:

10. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I dunno, I put UT2K4 on an 9200-equipped eMac at a local CompUSA one day, and even though it took a long time to load ('Cause of only 256MB Ram) it played rather well on the machine. I was quite surprised.

11. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

By any chane is your computer a g3 Rezet? :p I don't have it but most of these people don't have to much problems with it on there computer.

12. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

I guess if you turn all the setting down you'll be able to run ut2004 on that iBook.

My only experience is trying to run ut2003 on a 700MHz G4 iMac. You had to turn every detail to low. When playing against bots in small levels, it worked nice. When networking against other gamers w/better computers, you noticed the lag. You know you aimed directly at a person and you know you should have shot him, but he still didn't get hit. Typical problem with fast vs. slow computer.

In big levels, where you'd see the sky and big, open areas, it would lag even more.

..somehow I cannot imagine UT2004 running well on a 800MHz iMac as one person over here claimed, even with every setting turned to lowest..

13. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Current computers are listed in profile. But i did play and tested UT2004 on imac G4/G5; Dual Powermac, powerbooks and G4 ibooks. I don't think playing UT2004 on an ibook is good and is by no means enjoyable. Any FPS must have minimum of 30fps to be enjoyable. Most of the time in intense situations it didn't even get close to it. Although I must admit on DM maps like GAEL w.o bots and facing the wall, you will be able to register maybe even 40fps... ;)

14. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Nah, I used to play it on a powerbook that wasn't as good as the new ibooks, and it ran fine.

15. McGuillicuddy macrumors newbie

Oh damn. I just posted another thread that covers this same material :). Oh well...

16. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

I don't know then. Everyone else doesn't have problems with it. But to be safe he should download the demo.

17. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

It seems to me Rezet is used to gaming on a PC. A lot of Mac users simply aren't that demanding when it comes to games. Sad truth. Not that Mac users being demanding would change anything in Jobs' head anyway. Nooo! People don't want to play games on their Macs!