iBook getting SUPER HOT...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Rocketmunkee, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Rocketmunkee macrumors newbie

Greetings,

iBook G4 933MHz 14" (slot load), 640MB RAM. Doesn't matter which programs are running and the left side of the iBook gets really hot to the touch. I have tried elevating the iBook off the table and have even considered getting macmice.com's iBreeze to help keep it cool. But even under normal operation this book should not get this hot, should it?

This morning I was playing iPoker for 30 minutes and the book was waaay too warm.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

They warm up on that side and it's normal. How hot is too hot though? If the plastic melts then it's definitly too hot. The left side, particularly on the bottom, can get pretty warm before the fan even comes on. Not a problem though.

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

just chill :)
    and get something like Griffin Technology's iCurve.

You havent mentioned any fans or loud noise, so i guess its not getting that hot? iBooks esp. the left side (hard drive, iirc) get hot. Its normal.

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    dont touch it. hehe

get the icurve or something, the fans will take care of the heat, but if ur still senstive, put a cloth over it

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I thought the hottest part was the processor? BTW, my wife's iBook is not uncomfortable at all to use for long periods of time.

6. Rocketmunkee thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reassurance, everyone.

Will get iCurve or iBreeze. Thanks!

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

ahhhh....well mine is. and i'm assuming its the hard drive. processors get sorta hot, but the G3 processor doesnt have much of a heat problem, the G4s do.

The iCurve is nice (having owned one for some time), but all you really need is a book or something :p no need to spend money on something really unnecessary.