iBook Gone MAD!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by topspin98, Jan 3, 2006.

1. macrumors member

Dec 30, 2004
    Heyy this may seem very unusal (to me) but my iBook is starting to work like a Dell. My dell is slow and screwed up and clogged w/ virus and crap.

My iBook is extremely slow, it takes about 5-7 minutes to turn on (used to be 30 sec.). My apps wont load ( takes a few minutes to even open iChat!)

Ive recently taken my iBook in for repairs on my screen and the repair came back unfinished! I really am not having a good time with my favorite computer.

The computer has been freezing up as well. I just recently saved up about 30 gigs of space on the 80gig drive. and theres a 512mb ram. my drive is now 54.23gig left. I really wish this would not be like this.

I am willing to even buy a new iBook! but if theres an easier way....

Will the Macintel iBooks be worth saving for?

2. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Okay, since the iBook came back unrepaired, maybe take it back to them and demand they finish the job.

As for the slowness, open Activity Monitor and see if there's a process using up a lot of resources. Take out any third party RAM where applicable. Run fsck and unplug all peripherals. Create a new account and see if the problems are also in that account. I think that's a pretty good start. :)
  3. macrumors Core

Mar 17, 2005
    London, England
    now i'm not an expert by any means but have you tried running disk utility or perhaps something like OnyX ? i had some slow downs because of "aftermarket" fonts i had installed (the font caches were huge) and some other such things going on that OnyX cleared up.
    just a wee bit of input, just in case. :)

edit: doh, mad jew replied already, he'd know. ;) :)
  4. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

That's an excellent point. Are there any apps or fonts you've installed recently? :)
  5. thread starter macrumors member

Dec 30, 2004

First of all..

iBook is back to normal and works as if i just bought it!!!

Thank you.

What i did was i downloaded OnlyX and had it wash out cache and other space taking things. I went into Activity Monitor and saw that a cache of some sort was taking space so that was washed in OnlyX.
    I decided to make a new account on the iBook. So I went in it and it was fast and like a new begining so i transfered my 6 gigs of music over to the new name and deleted the other one. And so far my iBook is great!
    All i have to do is stomp up to the Apple Store and demand repair! Thanks

PS- Macworld sounds exciting to find whats coming out