iBook GOOD DEAL? USED/BROKEN

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Eckslusive, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Eckslusive macrumors 6502

it a good deal for a mac laptop, G3, 800, 12" inscreen w/ 300+ MB of ram, but no hard drive for 350US bucks.
    The guy isn't sure whats broken. Maybe i could get it fixed? what do you guys think??

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

impossible to know with so little info, but I'd say that's worth it if you know anything about fixing macs or know of a good repair place that won't rip you off. A HD won't cost that much, and I bet the price difference between that one and working one would be more than the cost of the repairs. But again, when we know so little, it's hard to say.

3. Eckslusive thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm trying to find out more. If i do, i'll tell you guys.

4. vniow macrumors G4

If you can figure out whats wrong with it, can get parts easily, and are handy with a screwdriver, then go for it, but be warned, you take a risk with these sort of things, especially if you don't know the exact problems, I have a 500Mhz G4 that had some missing parts when I bought it, there was no telling what the exact problems were, I thought it would be as simple as replacing the said missing parts...

Wrong.

Turns out the logic board is defective and since this is an AGP model vs a GE, its incredibly difficult to find a replacement that won't rob your wallet so I currently own a big hunk of useless metal and plastic.

So go ahead and attempt to fix it, but be aware of the risks, the last broken Mac I bought to fix up was nothing but sucessful, but I also knew what the problem was in that case, the current G4 was a bit more shady, but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop doing this, if I can find a good deal on a broken Mac, fix it up and sell it then I'm going to go for it if I have some extra ca$h to spare, its a good little side project, but don't think everything's going to go all perfect.

5. Eckslusive thread starter macrumors 6502

6. vniow macrumors G4

Hey, if it turns out to be a good deal, but you don't want to go through with it, I might want to take a crack at it.[​IMG]

7. Eckslusive thread starter macrumors 6502

well i just asked him some more q's. and i'll post them later when the guy replies.

8. Eckslusive thread starter macrumors 6502

The guy replied:

I'm thinking of purchasing it.

-Eric

9. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

From the threads you've been starting it looks like you've made your final decision. :D

Good luck with it.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

sounds like the guy doesn't really know what he's doing and that it isn't that bad.

but of course, he could be setting you up by giving you the disclaimer that "he doesn't really know," when in fact he does.

11. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

well, its worth $350 and then some for parts alone. if you have the cash, spend it.

12. Mblazened macrumors regular

If you want to be sure, you should offer to split the cost of getting it examined professionally.

If it can at least drive a display, it's probably worth it.

13. Eckslusive thread starter macrumors 6502

Often when an iBook dies, what is it because of?...
    1) HD
    2) Logic Board
    3) Battery