iBook hard drive is totalled, should I use an external drive as my boot drive?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by emoin, Nov 28, 2004.

1. emoin macrumors member

I have an iBook whose hard drive just pretty much died... It went through a week or so of the loud grinding type noises during which I backed up everything I had to, and it's finally just stopped booting completely.

I have my own reasons for not having the hard drive replaced (mostly I think it's a waste of money, as I plan on buying a new computer sometime next year), but for now I'd like to get an external drive and use it as my primary (well, only) boot drive, effectively turning my laptop into a desktop for the time being.

Is this an okay idea? I'm looking at this drive; is it the best one for my purposes? Any advice would be extremely appreciated before I start this whole process.

Thanks all!

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

2.5" Laptop HDD's aren't expensive, I don't understand why you don't just replace it :confused:

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

After all, if you do replace the internal drive, it'll be easier to sell if you want to. (If you're getting a new machine, that is).

We looked at the Porsche LaCies for work but went for a Lacie Big Disk Extreme instead. Check the D2s as well. Mega-solid cases & very fast on FW800...