iBook hard drive stuttering

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by hclip, May 17, 2006.

1. hclip macrumors newbie

hclip

For the last 6 months or so my iBooks (g4,800mhz,1gig ram)hard drive has been stuttering. It gets hung up on opening applications(when i only have one open at the time), playing songs in itunes, and doing just about anything lately. I re-installed the os(10.3.9) twice and its persistently getting worse. It makes sort of a click-click-dudda sound over and over, sort of like it stuck on searching for what it needs to find. This can last for a few seconds to 20 min sometimes, it goes to the beach ball while doing it. I restarted the other day and it took 30min. to get to the main screen. Repairing permissions is becoming a 20min event also while it makes that sound.I use diskwarrior from time to time and this helps but not so much anymore.So my question is do you think it may be that the HD might be dyeing and this is an early sign of it?Any words of advice or just take it to apple, and yes its still under warranty.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How much free space do you have? Make sure it's at least 8GB. Maybe run fsck too, just for fun. :)

3. hclip thread starter macrumors newbie

hclip

I have 9gb free but the problem happened when I had 30gb free. I'll give fsck a try and see what comes up... thanks.

4. hclip thread starter macrumors newbie

hclip

Well I tried running fsck twice, both times it said "disk i/o error" or something to that effect and froze. I had to hard shut down to reboot. After that I ran Diskwarrior then ran fsck and it says everything is okay now.So who knows, could it be bad sectors on the hd?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It should be fine but keep everything backed up, as normal. :)

6. hclip thread starter macrumors newbie

hclip

Since this started happening I have been, for the fear that the hd is dying.Thanks for your help/input mad jew :)