iBook Hard Drive upgrade

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Island Dog, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

Sep 11, 2005
    St. Cloud, FL.
    I called Compusa and they want $179 for a new drive, and $140 to install it. He told me the biggest drive you can put in an iBook G4 is 80 gig. Is that true?

Does anyone know who can replace the drive for cheaper, or is it really that hard to do yourself?

What is the proper hard drive to buy. Newegg has many notebook drives but I'm not sure what specifications I'm looking for.

Thanks for you help.
  2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

Jan 20, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    You can use any 2.5" drive (don't quote me on that). As for installation, what a rip off. I paid AU$90 ~ US$65. Look around for the best deal. I did the same and ended up saving $100 :)
  3. titangears macrumors member

Nov 8, 2005
    I upgraded my iBook's hard drive myself, and to do it you have to be very careful & patient. The process is filled with many potential pitfalls. I'm not sure I would want some low wage punk at CompUSA opening up my iBook and doing it.
  4. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    I agree with that, but at least if they break it compUSA will cover the costs, if you break it your screwed...

5. Island Dog thread starter macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

Sep 11, 2005
    St. Cloud, FL.
    You both have good points. I'm just not sure what to do now.
  6. kugino macrumors 65816

Jul 10, 2003
    it depends...are you a fairly meticulous person? if you are, i say do it yourself. it's not hard...it just requires some patience and a good system of keeping track of all the screws (there's a lot of them). i believe you can put in any 2.5" drive, so if you can get one of the newer 100GB ones, they would work. i replaced my own drive and things have been fine.

i agree - i wouldn't want some low-wage punk doing it...i trust myself more.
  7. myshoeshurt macrumors regular

Jan 17, 2006
    Victoria, B.C.
    Apple sells the iBook G4 with the option of upgrading to a 100GB hard drive.
  8. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

May 30, 2005
    Actually, that's a half truth. My best friend works there as a computer repair person (we're in high school, and they pay him $11 an hour which isn't bad for a part-timer, so he's not really low wage) and I know he does a really good job with the computers he does fix. He told me he recently replaced a logic board on a dual processor G5 the other day. So if you were to have CompUSA do it, chances are you'll get a competent technician, and if you don't.. they have to pay for it.
  9. YS2003 macrumors 68020

Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    I don't even think about doing the upgrade on my trusty iBook (40 GB HD). There are so many screws and so much to loose (I hope Apple will make the upcoming Intel Mac more user upgradable). I would rather using a very portable Firewire external HD (such as Lacie mobile 100 GB) rather than messing with my iBook. My 2 AL PowerBooks have 80 GB; so I don't really worry about their capacity. I also have 4 external HD to back them up.
  10. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Can't you have an Apple store do it for like $40? $140 is way too much, especially if you're overpaying for the drive there. Buy from Newegg and find another place to do it that's Apple certified and will guarantee it, or see if a local place will do it cheaper if you buy the drive from them. You can have up to 120GB in the iBook (maybe even 160), so you probably don't want to have someone like that do it anyway.