iBook harddisk died !!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ang8385, Jul 26, 2004.

1. ang8385 macrumors member

My G3 600 iBook harddisk just died (now booting from external firewire HD), was thinking whether to replace it or to buy a new 12 inch powerbook.

Any suggestions ???

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, it'd be well over a thousand dollars less to replace the drive than to buy a PB. I guess the question is: is it worth over a thousands dollars to you to get a system that runs, oh, maybe 3+ times faster and fosters envy in those who see it, or would you rather keep your trusty old friend with a newer and faster drive?

3. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

It's probably worthwhile doing both, depending on the specs of your iBook (once repaired) you could probably get close to $500 for it and put that towards a PB.

4. dcollierp macrumors member

For about $100 an 2-3 hours of effort, you will have your old friend back. I just recently replaced my hard drive and upgraded to 40GB and 5400rpm. I almost never see te spinning beach ball and I can keep saving toward a 15" powerbook.

5. ang8385 thread starter macrumors member

But the problem is i have to pay another AUD150 just for the installation fees + the hard drive. I'm not gonna spend much on this old machine.
    And i'm not happy with the 8mb display

6. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Sounds like you're set on getting a new PB then, it's still worth getting the iBook fixed though. 20GB notebook drives retail for about AU$130 so that repair is not too bad and you'll be able to sell it for much more than the repair cost.

7. ang8385 thread starter macrumors member

I guess i'll just save the money and wait for G5 powerbook :p

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, there's your answer!

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

BTW, have you considered a new iBook? Less money, similar performance?

10. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

My iBook G4 800's HD died in May.
    Our IT tech's iBook G4 900 HD died last week.

Welcome to the club, I'm afraid. So if you got a new one, beware that HD's die on them as well, :(

11. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

It's nothing special about iBooks, all hard drives die eventually they have sensitive moving parts.

12. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Why are you not just exchanging the harddrive yourself ? I cannot imagine that this is difficult even so I have never done it. I guess the more complicate question is to get the right harddrive that fits into your machine and will be recognized by the OS, but I think some guys here can help you with that question.

Cheers