ibook has better wireless than powerbook??

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by seans9, May 4, 2005.

1. seans9 macrumors member

I have a powerbook g4 with tiger installed on it. My friend has an ibook g4 with panther. We have our computers right next to each other and she has a better signal strength. Is there something different about the settings or what? I find it ridiculous to have paid 1000 more for a computer with a weaker wireless capability.

2. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

the ibooks do tend to have better reception than the powerbooks. this is simply because the pb has a metal case and the ibook has a mainly plastic one.

i know it's a bummer, but people would be complaining if they paid $2000 for a plastic laptop too..no?

3. seans9 thread starter macrumors member

yea that makes sense. but what doesnt make sense is that the ibook has almost a perfect connection and my powerbook has almost none.

4. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

erm, then it sounds like you might have a bigger issue. did installing tiger start this problem?

sometimes, the lil antenna inside the pb that id attached to the airport card may come loose, or it may not be connected properly. i know i self-installed my airport card and the first time i didnt connect it properly and got terrible signal strength..have you been fiddling around in your computer recently?

5. seans9 thread starter macrumors member

never have messed with anything. i travel with it a lot. wonder if something got loose.

but i never had a connection in the place i am. my friend just randomly brought in her ibook to show a friend and it had perfect connection.

any other possible ideas? i just installed tiger, but at my home it actually increased wireless connection

6. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

in that case, it's probably just a structural problem..

in my old school, we had an airport extreme network, and they installed it into the brand new computing block which was made mainly of glass and steel for a futuristic look. the reception was *terrible*. i think in the end they started putting like 2 extremes in every room..

i guess it's just something you have to deal with!