Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EustaceHPlimsol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Hi all,

I was sitting at my ibook the other day when my housemate decided to throw a football at me. It hit a glass of water, the water went all over my desk and a large amount over my ibook, mainly on the keyboard area.

I think I acted quite pretty instantaneously. I flipped it over and unplugged the mains cable - the ibook had turned itself off by this point - then I disconnected the battery and took off the keyboard from the front. Luckily there seemed to be little or no water under the keyboard. I dried up what I could from the rest of the ibook and then left it sitting upside down for a good 30 hours or so.

When I turned it back on it booted up, albeit very slowly. The keyboard seemed to be damaged - the "g" key gives "tg" and so on - which I was unsurprised by. I'm going to leave it to dry some more and see if it fixes itself. If not I can get a new one.

But now we come to the main point of this post. When I tried to access the internet it was veeery, veeery slow. Is this something you would expect to happen after a water spill? Can I expect it to get better if I leave the ibook to dry out some more? If not, which part of my ibook is likely damaged and needs replacing?

I wish I could tell you more about how the computer is behaving, but when I saw it wasn't working properly I quickly shut it down, and don't want to risk turning it on again before I've given it a chance to dry out some more.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The damage done by the liquid has been done. Since you've turned it on already there is little point in turning it off and trying to dry it out more. Best bet would be to have it checked and try to get it repaired or do it yourself.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
If you connect to the Internet via Wifi/Airport, then the damaged part might be the Airport adapter which sits right beneath the keyboard below the RAM.

Cqe3nEZaoAwZRvlP.large

Or some capacitor or something else on your Logic Board might be fried.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Considering the Airport card is directly under your afflicted keyboard, you have probably damaged it in part.
Also, tell your roommate he's a dick D:

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
Try replacing the keyboard and the airport card and see if that help at all. If not then you might be looking at a new logic board. But if that is the case then it should be new computer time.

EustaceHPlimsol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Thanks guys.

The thing is, my ibook 12 is one of those which doesn't have an airport card - it's built-in, so I can't remove it :(

But then I was pretty sure the water didn't get down under the keyboard anyway.

Gonna turn it on again today and see what's going on...

EustaceHPlimsol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Ok, well it does seem, improbably enough, to have fixed itself overnight somewhat. There a still a few keyboard keys playing up, but I'm hoping they might sort themselves out in time. If not, a new keyboard is hardly going to break the (my housemate's!) bank.

And the internet seems to have speeded up again for some reason.

Woopwoop!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.